Change from right-hand to left-hand drive?

This is my first post as I just started looking around for a used GT40 MK1 (preferably from CAV or Superformance) and as I saw that that there is quite a number of right-hand versions out there I was wondering if someone could tell me whether it was possible to have this changed to left-hand. Of course it is - but the question is at what cost - are we talking about EUR 5k or 10k (incl labor!) or even more?).

Has anyone ever done this?

Thanks!

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Welcome to GT40s.com. Please see rule #2 and adjust your name accordingly.

It may be possible to change some types of GT from RHD to LHD but not so with a Superformance as the tubs are different left to right due to the tunnel offset. I am aware of a CAV that was revised from LHD to RHD.

Whoever you are,
Some of the different kits are easily changed sides. I have a DRB which became GT 40 Australia, and their interiors are even from left to right. All you need is to hack off the steering supports and add them to the other side or add brackets, depending on what you use for a column. I used a straight piece of tubing at first them added one frrom a Corsa when I decided to go power steering. The rack will have to be done as well. I used a Flaming River quick ratio. Had to move the supports an inch or two to get them to line up to their mounts. The overall lenght is perfect.
Cost is what ever you decide to do. If you do it yourself it is fairly cheap. I had no experiece of building a car before I started mine. You learn a lot.

Bill

Thanks Mark and Bill for your input. Btw, I also got my name changed in the meanwhile. And Bill, although I love cars I think I will never be able to build or even maintain one on my own. I am a partner at an accounting firm and have another time comsuming hobby. Perhaps I will have the time when I retire but I am just 45 so still another couple years to go ;-)

Thomas

"although I love cars I think I will never be able to build or even maintain one on my own. I am a partner at an accounting firm and have another time comsuming hobby. Perhaps I will have the time when I retire but I am just 45 so still another couple years to go"

Thomas,
My build was a first for me. I an in Anesthesia so I don't think I can get further away from auto building. It's just a desire to do it, as all hobbies are. Because of different things interfering with the build(life), I completed mine in 10 years. You read that right. I actually had it on its wheels in less time, but different things pop up with these cars(any built car that is), that make it seem almost impossible to finish. I know there are several things that I still want to do to mine, but at 67 I am running out of time.
RETIRE???? what is that??

Bill

Hello Bill

Very interesting and true demonstration !
Specially when you write that with these cars every day pop up a new thing so for some one not enought in love with manual work it's better to buy a regular car to be sure of what he will spend about time and money .
Kitcar world is only satisfying if you are prepared to go deeply mecanically into everywhere in your car beside if you are milionaire and able to pay your private mecanic !!!!!
When I was watching all these magnificent UK GT40 kit coming to us at Le mans my pleasure was to leave pits for a while and have some beer with these guys and talk about how was their built etc etc ... they all become skilled fabricators like you year after year thanks to their GT40 built !!!!!!!:laugh:

Back