Windscreen tip(s)

Just recieved my new windscreen the other day, and went to clean it readying for instalation. To my amazement, it would not clean. Soap and water did nothing, Windex the same. Then tried some acetone and some gasoline on a remote area. Nothing would touch it.
P8010001_zpsd9a43506.jpg

I took the glass to a new glass replacement shop just opening in my area. My fear was it was in the lamination and the glass would be worthless. They tried steel wool(lightly) to no avail. Then they tried ordinary polishing compound and it came clear. They will install the glass on Monday. Add this to your need to know list!!
Also for your need to know, there are two different windscreens to choose from. One is from the original mold guys like Fran, and the other is for the "other" replicas. It has to do with the Bow of the glass. The more rounded ones are like Fran's with an arch of 6-6 1/2". the bow for the rest of us is 5-5 1/2".This was measured on a rug and it was actually 5 1/2"
P1010220.jpg

There are differences in the serial number as well. Mine ends in 87, the ones like Fran's end in 90(I think).

P1010224.jpg

Bill

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Use some "Bon Ami" mixed with a little water. Abrasive enough to remove most stuff/road film etc. but will not scratch ("hasn't scratched yet!") the glass.

If you want to apply Rain-X, Aquapel or another repellant do the Bon Ami first to clean the glass and then polish with some newspaper. The newsprint is just abrasive enough to clean without leaving any damaging marks.

Richard,
There is only one person who furnishes the screens that I know of and you have his address. He is a busy fellow as it took a while to get my screens in the mail. It may fall on him to have cleaned them up, but as I said he is a supplyer not a manufacturer. All the screens as far as I know come from South Africa, and I might be wrong but they may very well come from CAV. Someone that knows better than me can confirm or deny that. My only complaint is that he doesn't read his emails very often and that delays any comunications.

Bill

Pat

Supporter
Bill,
FYI, the manufacturer and part number are the same as the windshield on my CAV. I've always found them very responsive to parts requests so if they are in stock, they may be a faster supply route.

Here is one to add to the list if looking for an alternative in the UK (Suggest Fran if the US).

Attachments

• IMG_20130804_095804.jpg
    IMG_20130804_095804.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 300
Well I had the day off from work, so I went to work on the cleaning of the windscreen. The glass shop used regullar polishing compound on the glass but could not get it entirely clean. So I brought it home and tried some KIT polishing compound with my dual action polisher with little to no effect. Next I tried Novis 2 for scrach removal of plastics and glass. This too had little effect. My next though was to see if this is really on the outside or is it a delamination. I took a razor blade and tried to see if anything came off. It did but only with a lot of pressue and a rather blunt angle of attack. Fearful it would scratch the glass I recruited my wife, who like all good wives knows all there is to cleaning. I thought maybe vinegar would do it, but was directeed by the cleaner in charge that Bon Ami would do the trick. So I got some and went to work with the dual action polisher. After two tries on each side the glass came clean as a whistle. Since I had two screens I tried this with the second one, which had not been treated by the glass shop. It took about three tries on each side, but it too came clean. So I am here to tell you that Bon Ami is the go to cleaner for glass. Now to install it and get back out on the road!!

Bill

Back