How do you get your windows to sparkle?

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I can't. No matter what commercial product I use it seems streaks are left.
My windshield can look perfectly clean but when the sun nears the horizon
You can see the streaks. Yes I use micro fibre cloths and clean them regularly.
Any ideas?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Like they say....

Newsprint is just abrasive enough (like Lonesome Bob!) to polish without leaving marks.

Attachments

• bon ami.jpg
    bon ami.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 288

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
I can't. No matter what commercial product I use it seems streaks are left.
My windshield can look perfectly clean but when the sun nears the horizon
You can see the streaks. Yes I use micro fibre cloths and clean them regularly.
Any ideas?

Hi Pete

One thing to keep in mind is that when you have finished cleaning the windscreen or for that matter any window in the car do not use a wiping motion on the horizontal.

Make your last cleaning strokes vertically up and down the windows and I think you will see a huge difference.
It has to do with the curvature of the glass.

Dimi

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Ok trick I learned

Whey you drive and get bugs splattered on your windows.
You wash the car and remove the bugs but next time it rains the windscreen gives the rainbow haze

Take a potato
Cut it in half and run the windscreen with the cut edge
Trim potato (when it gets mucky
Repeat till you have wiped whole svreen with potato

Rinse off windscreen with water

No more smears on the screen

An no it's not a wind up - best glass cleaner I have ever used!

Ian

Pete and others. You think you have problems. Look at what I had to go through to get mine clean. As far as Bon Ami is concerned I used a DA polisher waxer with it . No scratches what so ever. See the discussion here.
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tech-exterior-interior-ac-trim/40925-windscreen-tip-s.html.
On the inside of a once clean screen(dirty from the elements). I use soap and water. Then wipe the wet stuff with a clean squeege(Put a towel laid out on the dash). Comes clean every time. Trick is to clean the squeege after each wipe. At worst a clean towel will get any water that you miss with the squeege

Bill

Chuck

Supporter
If you are going to use news print, stay away from the New York Times. It is too abrasive. On the other hand, that might be its best application.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I tried to clean my windows with the NYTimes but I had trouble holding the computer up to the car. And the windows are still dirty. I don't get it.

I've found the best stuff is Plexus plastic cleaner and polish. It was developed for aircraft canopies and I have used it for my race helmet visor for years. (I must say I do like the applicator the young lady in post #13 is using.)

Back