Doing the dash.

Plan to order in another dash and was wondering how to go about things. Do you all cut the holes for the gauges and the roll bar first, get the thing covered in leather, install the gauges, wire it up, then install it doing things in that order? It's got to be a pain with the wires either doing it before or after installation.

This is one area of the build I don't look forward to.

Hi Darrin,
yes your build sequence is about right. The only thing I'd add is to make a separate dash electrical harness. Mine uses a 49-way connector, but there's nothing stopping you using several smaller ones (as long as there marked!) That way it can all be wired up off the car and then checked as a assembly
Regards,
Andy

Thanks Andy. That's a great idea. I think they sell dash only kits. Might look into it and see if I can get one and then just hook it into mine.

Darrin,
Do I read that you have a dash now and are getting a second?? If so the first should be a mule of sorts in that you can set it up for the cage and make sure it all fits. When I converted mine from right to left hand drive, I used the first dash as an experiment and got it where it should be with the cage in place. It will first be an experiment for where to cut it, lest your cage is in front of the dash. Then you can add cardboard or even paper to line up where the cuts should be. The front cut is tricky in that the cage is slanted, and it isn't a round hole. Saves guessing with the new one. Then you only have to cut once.

Bill

P1010005_zps64027851.jpg

P1010009_zps0f8904c5.jpg

P1010007_zps8213a24b.jpg

The metal bracket that you see in the last pic is the support for the free piece. All it is, is a bracket from Home Depot. The bolt holding it in had its head ground down and countersunk into the dash itself. It is pretty thick fiberglass. The leather has some padding so it is virtually invisible under the leather. All it does is support the free piece. the windscreen helps hold it in place. This allows the dash to be removed and it stays in place. If you are like me you will remove the dash at least 10-20 times. Use small long screws to hold it in place while you fiddle with it.
To make it easy. fit the old dash before you add the cage. Take lots of pics of its position and lay tape on the edges of the support structures and transfer with felt tip pens to assure its position. Put cross marks on dash and support pieces to show how it fits. Install the cage and then cut the two ends off with plenty of work room(beyond the cross hatches), and fit them to the cage as I mentioned in the other post. It makes it a lot easier than working with that bulky dash.
After you get the ends fitted, you will have to make a template of the cut pieces and transfer them to the new dash. Cut inside the lines and trim to fit. Be sure to do all this before you start any gauges or wiring. Hope this helps. If you run into problems let me know. It is just one of those fidddly things.

Bill

Bill

Back