CAV Fire Extinguisher Mounting

I want to mount a fire extinguisher directly in front of the passenger seat on the floor where it slopes down toward the footwell. Does anyone know if that area contains any hidden essential items that could be damaged if I drill holes to mount an extinguisher? I have a 2 1/2 pound halon and that is about the only place in the cabin that I can find to mount it.

Mike, Contact Johann Keyser in NC 919-924-9891 (US factory Rep) or Jean Foure (by email) at the factory. Yours is an early car so probably best to check as you're doing. Pat (Veek) on this forum has # 4 so he too could probably help. As far as I know I'm not aware of anything being in the way of where you mentioned. Good Luck.

Pat

Supporter
Have you considered mounting the bottle (I'm assuming it's a fixed system) under the SS plate below the A/C condenser. Then plumb the discharge to the engine and anywhere else you wish.

Thanks Veek, but it is a 2.5 lb handheld halon for now. I want it accessible to me in the cabin. I was thinking about an installed system but again couldn't find enough room for a 5 lb tank for that to be located. I would think that the stainless plate outboard of the a/c condenser wouldn't be big enough for an installed system. Do you have one mounted there?

Thanks carnutdr. My investigation hasn't detected anything run under the space where I described. I believe as long as I stay clear of the sponson where the tank resides I should be ok.

Drilled the angled floor pan right in front of the passenger seat for rivnuts today and installed my 2 1/2 pound clean agent extinguisher. Nothing under that pan other than air; perfect place for my extinguisher. Right under the passenger knees. Doesn't interfere with my legs or getting into and out of the passenger side. But then again, I am very seldom on that side! Hope my wife feels as good about it as I do!

Back