Rear Parking Sensors

Had a search through the forum and couldn't find anything, so wanted thoughts from people around parking sensors for the rear.

I don't think I want the complexity of a rear mounted camera, but having rear sensors could be useful. So, I've been trying to thin the best place to put them.

Any comments ideas? I've taken an old pic and just put 4 dots on where I think they could go. I am thinking 2 either side of the number plat and then two on each rear quarter/wheel arch. The sensors would be paintable ones.

Parking sensor by Brett-GT40, on Flickr

Brett,
I think you will not be so pleased with just the sensors. They will let you know something is close to the rear of the car, but you won't know what it is til you "touch" it. The little rear view cameras that are tag mounted is about all you need. I have one on my truck and I wouldn't be without it. It even helps me line up the trailer, so I don't have to jump out of the truck 8-9 times to get it lined up right. You can pick one up on Ebay for about $20-$30. If you want to explore the matter more go to Tadi brothers or Google "rear view cameras". You will get a million hits. Tadi Bros. has some videos that show you what to expect and what is available. I think they have sensors as well. You don't need a high end camera if you just want something for when you are parking. I think it is a good idea to have eyes available when you back up. You never know what is truly behind you when you do back up in thee cars. The small screens can be hidden away in the car so it isn't obtrusive or blocking your view.There will be times you don't have someone to help you back up.

Bill

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Brett

I know of someone who fitted them and they squealed every time reverse was selected

Turned out when fitted to the rear clip at ninety degrees they pointed at the floor!

Need to make sure they point the right direction

Ian

I am thinking about the rear camera option myself. Some that I have looked at attach to the existing rear view mirror and use a license plate frame camera that is adjustable for viewing angle. You can get a wireless version as well and then all you need to do is tap into power in the cabin and then in the rear clamshell. Easy to remove and no unsightly holes or other permanent markings. Should also improve view to the rear even when under way rather than trying to see what's behind you through the mirrors!

Hi Brett,

Not much help but I am going to go down the wireless camera route as well. Just have a feeling it will be more useful than just sensors.

I will warn you guys that want to go wireless that you should take a harder look at them. At the headset I will tell you that you will be happier with the wired setup. Yes it is a little bit of a bother to run but you will be happier in the end. I have had a wired and a wireless. The first was a wireless unit that I put on my truck. It lasted for several years before giving up the ghost. I replaced it with another wireless cause on my truck I didn't want to run the wiring, and I am lazy. I love it for what I use it for, backing up and hooking up my trailer. Don't have to get out of the truck to hook it up other than to drop it onto the ball hitch. Don't need it for anything else, cause I have plenty of mirrors for that. The problem with the wireless units is that they pickup errant signals from restaurants, banks and department stores as you drive by them. The screen is always powered and the camera is switched on when the backup linght is powered. The screen is hooked into an acc, powwer cell or cigarette lighter, always looking for a signal. My wife and I used to go out for coffee and doughnuts several times a week. Sitting in the parking lot of the doughnut store listening to the radio(acc. power) we would enjoy watching the cash register workers at a restaurant that was in the neighborhood. Good signal, clear as a bell. We would also pickup other businesses as we drove down the street. Because I mounted the screen low in the cab, it wasn't a distraction. On your dash it will be constantly flickering on and off.
OBTW. If you plan to have the camera for constant driving you will need to mount it higher than your tag. All you will see is the car bumper behind you and nothing else. If your camera is more than 90 degree viewing angle(most are 120-170) everything you see in the camera will be TINY until it is right up on you. Consider mounting it on the rear hatch just above the engine. If that gives you too distorted a view from the angle going through your plexi then you will have to mount it on the outside either on the hatch or on the spyder. You may need a bump to hide it. Those cameras are usually small units that come in little enclosed housings which aren't that bad. You have to play with how they are mounted to give you the best view.Last tip, get ccd units not cmos.

Bill

In that case... maybe I will see what discount I can get on the camera that comes with the Focus/Kuga etc. It works well in the cars we have imo.

Guess I now need to look for a screen etc and to figure out a diagram so it switches on in reverse ir manually

If you don't have a switch that turns on a backup light(s), you can wire a manual switch that turns the camera on. Just put the switch in a non conspicuous place(bottom of dash) or some place that your knee won't hit it. I have a manual backup/fog light that is quite bright, glass cover(Pep Boys, 4 to a pack).
P1010010_zpsc70664d1.jpg

This could be used on the same switch.

Bill

Hi Brett,

I think there's quite a few cameras available nowadays. It may the case that a 'kit' is easier to fit & possibly cheaper than trying to use the factory fitted stuff, although of course the cameras we fit to the cars are nice and small, as well as good quality.
I've seen kits in Maplin Electronics & also truck / agricultural dealers, I think we may have a kit listed as a Transit or T.Connect accessory also?

Happy searching !! Steve.

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
I have rear sensors and a rear camera.
The camera is mounted above the air filter and views through the rear screen. Although the view is very good, and you can just see both rear corners, but there is a lot of glare through the screen, so I am thinking of moving it to the back of the rear clip.
As for rear sensors, mine are lower than in your pic. the centre two are mounted in the two grill areas, but I think the metal is affecting the sensors.

I will take some pics in the next couple of days.

Stephen,
I will give it a go and if I can get it to work, then I will post the drawings and PNs for everyone.

Richard Thanks, I think I will give the sensors a try at the level I have put in.

Brett

I had a mirror style screen, I found it way to close because of the ergonomics of a GT40.
I put a smaller one mounted down lower on the dash, I found it much easier.

Jim

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
I have a 5 ( or 7) inch screen attached to the centre lower dash, but I am constantly clouting it with my knees.( no centre console on one of these!). Maybe a 3 or 4" version might be better?

Yes Richard. I am trying to visualise (here at work) the best place for fitment. I am going to be running a 608 as my rear view mirror, so will need to find somewhere different that is discrete but easy to see and won't get knocked!

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
better late than never. Sorry about the delay, but here are the pics I promised....

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2587.JPG
    IMG_2587.JPG
    226.5 KB · Views: 762
  • IMG_2588.JPG
    IMG_2588.JPG
    371.2 KB · Views: 744
  • IMG_2589.JPG
    IMG_2589.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 790
The outer leg of the dash, on the sill (by your doorside knee) looks like a good place for a 5 inch, maybe even a 7 inch screen. Out of the way and easy to see with just a slight glance down.

Back