Spf gt 40

Does anyone have a suggestion for a low profile, open face helmet. I am 6" and a gfr 3023 doesn't work. Looking for a Snell 2010 that is low profile. My SPR GT 40 has a Gurney bubble.
Thanks

If by low profile you mean less padding...
In my view a helmet is a safety device and I would buy the best I could afford.
If you can't sit inside your car including Gurney bubble, I would try to lower my seat or do without a seat and put some padding behind my back and both sides. Or else you might be able to fiddle a bit with your seating position, moving your butt forward so your back is at a different angle and thereby lowring your head.

John

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Does anyone have a suggestion for a low profile, open face helmet. I am 6" and a gfr 3023 doesn't work. Looking for a Snell 2010 that is low profile.

I suspect you won't find much variation given compliance with Snell 2010 only. There is at least one FIA standard that you often see with some Snell 2010 helmets that results in more thickness (and more expense). However, to be sure I suggest contacting a retailer who carries the major brands, such as Wine Country Motorsports in Sonoma, CA, and asking them if there is any significant variation.

I noticed in mine, actually most of the cars I sat in, I reclined too far back and my head was not centered in the bubble. The two things I did was install the spacer on the engine wall Olthoff sells, you can do the same by using towels or something to sit a little more vertical, and I also had the floor shaped a little and the seat shaved some to increase the head room. I'm 6'1" and fit fine with my helmet.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Does anyone have a suggestion for a low profile, open face helmet. I am 6" and a gfr 3023 doesn't work. Looking for a Snell 2010 that is low profile. My SPR GT 40 has a Gurney bubble.
Thanks

At a mere 6" you are probably facing a multitude of challenges :D

On a more serious note, as you are in the Lake Tahoe area why not head down to Davis Motorsports of Reno or the Summit Racing store in Sparks and try on a few different brands. Davis Motorsports are great guys to work with, however as other have said I doubt there would be much difference for a Snell compliant helmet.

When you get sorted I hope to see you out at Reno-Fernley for one of the track days. There's an SCCA PDX coming up September 28th.

Julian

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I did exactly what MMurphy did on the back part, not only does the helmet fit perfect in the bubble area it also relieves a lot of pressure on your shoulders as my arms where stretched to far. I left my seat and floor pan original but I'm only 6 foot and shrinking.

...you can do the same by using towels or something to sit a little more vertical,

Maybe I got this the wrong way, but I would not use a towel as these are very soft and easily press together even when rolled. It is not that difficult to make your own (insert) seat using foam.

John

Back