What would you do? Rear clam shell spider joining

My rear clam shell sits about 1/10" above the spider in the center when both sides of the clam shell are latched (using Aerocatch 3 latches...do a pretty good job).

I have some Hartwell latches that are designed to clamp things down that I could install, but that would be a good bit of effort. I could also build up the spider in the rear just a bit to match it, or sand the rear clip down a bit to make it even less of a raised area.

The closeup photo shows where it is now. The other photo is of the latch I am thinking about...but wondering if it's overkill.

What do most folks do with this?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 2014-01-10 12.56.24.jpg
    2014-01-10 12.56.24.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 355
  • 2013-12-23 14.16.32.jpg
    2013-12-23 14.16.32.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 414
Darrin,

I'd sand it to match with a long block. My body panels did not match anywhere close to 1/10th so, there was a lot of work put in to making them match well (building up the glass, etc) which will pay off in the end with a good looking body. Also, what latches are you thinking about using vs. the ones in the picture? I used a French aerospace latch similar to the Hartwells but way less expensive.

Last edited:
The one in the photo is a Hartwell latch that I thinking about using on the top where the spider and clam shell meet to snap the clam shell down tight. I picked up four of them off of eBay for an incredibly low price by sheer luck.

I may just sand it as you say. Working on fitting the lights now while I mull it over.

Back