Door Check

I just got hit in the head with my door ouch :furious: Has anyone try to install a door check to keep the door open when getting in&out???? I have a CAV #176 but I would think this could be a universal fit

Thanks
Alan

I look forward to the replies on this question. I currently have an afro so that I can sense the door before whacking my head on it, but I'm going bald and need a better solution soon.

Alan, I too got whacked by one of those stainless door retainers...and thought about the possibility of installing a door stay.
The two types I have seen are either on the hinge itself with a detent (GM) or like the Volvo type where there is a traveling rod that slides in and out of the door and has detents on the rod.
Both have very strong springs, and put a lot of stress on the hinge and mountings..after all you are controlling the door swing almost from the pivot point.
The unit that might work is the one used on the Volvo (850) ....but it would need a substantial mount at the A pillar and inside the door...I have actually welded some of these at the A pillar because the stress cracks the sheet metal from excess flexing.
My thought was ultimately install one of those small push cylinders with just enough force to keep the door open until deliberately pulled closed...not enough to be a problem, but enough to keep a small gust of wind or an incline from permitting the door swinging closed inadvertently.
Cheers
Phil

The door poppers won't work at the front of the door. They have to be installed at the back of the door as their function is to get the door open a tad once the opener is activated, and keep it from closing back up once you release the door opener. Mine works in conjunction with the electric openers and springs the door just a few inches. Believe mine is a 40# unit. To use them at the front would take a hugh amount of force and everything would be stressed pretty bad. I believe the ones you guys are talking about act to keep the door open and not to assist in the opening. Right?? To do that you might have to motorize it.

Bill

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
If you are just wanting to hold the door open, how about a bungee cord attached in front of the hinge and tensioned and running across to the far side behind the dash.

It would be reasonable easy to pull against to close the door and yet hold it open and if you got the dimensions right could almost be under no tension when the doors are closed

Ian

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
This is very low tech, but I keep a piece of styrofoam in the drivers door pocket, if I'm pointed up hill or on an angle where the door wants to close, I just stick it in the front part of the door jam, works just fine. You want it to be soft enough that If you forget to remove it, pulling the door shut will just compress it a little and not crack the fiberglass.

Mine is similar to jims ,I have back support cushions in my seats so I just reach back pull it out and jam it in the door.

The first night I took my wife for a drive I pulled up outside her parents house, It is a slight uphill .
She was struggling with the door closing on her and was half way out and slipped.
Both her legs where in the car and she landed flat on her back on the road.

I told her she is lucky its dark so you have no witnesses and by the way your chest looks great from here.

She was not impressed.

Jim

Thanks for everyone's replies I'm in the process of making a custom door check since there doesn't look like there is a solution out there, will post pictures soon

Alan

Back