Lower Seats for GTD40

Brian Wilson

Lifetime Supporter
Paul, Eric & others - here are some pics of the new seats I had made to address the headroom problem (lack thereof) in my GTD. The original seats are on runners which bolt through the floor. These take up quite a bit of space and the seat cushion on these seats is not removable. I'm around 6'2" and couldn't drive the car - which has a Gurney bubble - even without a helmet.

These seats were built from scratch on frames of square section steel tube, then upholstered to match the originals. The seat and backrest cushions are both removable - with small pieces of 1/2" foam I can drive with a helmet on and am ok on the road with the cushions in place. The seats bolt through the original holes in the floor. The backrests are several inches lower to allow a harness to pass over the top of the seat, rather than through it. They are upholstered in good quality black leather, but could be done more cheaply in other material.

There are a couple of pics of the original seats for comparison, although none in the car.

Cheers

Brian

Attachments

• IMG_2013.jpg
    IMG_2013.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 541
  • IMG_2014.jpg
    IMG_2014.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 514
  • IMG_2015.jpg
    IMG_2015.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 503
  • IMG_2019.jpg
    IMG_2019.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_2017.jpg
    IMG_2017.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 1,336
Those are nice . Your old ones are nice too . My gtd the seats just site on the floor and fire wall and the bottom part is just cloth on the floor.

Brian Wilson

Lifetime Supporter
Yes, this has made a big difference. I can use different thickness back cushions to adjust the pedal reach, cut out of high-density foam. The one in the pic is about 1/2" thick and the upholstered backrest about 2" when sitting against it. There's no webbing in the base as you can see - thought no point. It's still quite comfy, with the carpet and insulation underneath and the foam on top.

Maybe I'll see if somebody (shorter) wants to buy the original seats. They're really pretty nice.

Brian

Back