Paint ideas - P1076 1968 La Mans Gulf???

Hi

I was chatting to Dick Townsend about repainting my car in Gulf colours. My main concern is that it will look like many other cars.....not that it's a bad thing, but I'd like to do something a bit different.

Dick mentioned that Gulf had 3 Gulf designs - the moustache, straight stripes, but also a triangular front orange design. I think this was only on P1076 in the 1968 Le Mans - number 11????

I've found photo's of models of this car but no decent ones of the actual car.

Does anyone have any photo's, and what is the general consensus? Has anybody else put this paint job on a replica???

Attachments

• imagesOSFTAXT6.jpg
    imagesOSFTAXT6.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 366

Keith

Hi Derren, well I am certainly not a fan of the Gulf colours because, as you say, they are so many (comparatively speaking) however, I most definitely am a fan of the original Gulf Colours before Marigold Mania. It's a dark blue with red accents/stripes and there is a picture of the original car he bought (Grady?) and had raced privately before he threw in the Gulf Oil lot with JWA, somewhere on the Integral-Web thing.

Seriously, have a look.

I don't know the number of the car as I am stuck in a hospital bed with only an iPad for company but if you have Ronnie's book you should be able to find the car number and do an inter-web search thingy :)

PS please oh please don't do it in Minging Marigold ( no offence to those that already have of course.....)

If you do decide to go Butt Blue and Mucky Marigold I'm sure it will look just as good as all the others :)

Mike Pass

Supporter
How about the alternative Gulf colours like this one.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN-J4Jydnkc]Gt40 losses control - YouTube[/ame]

You could also go with the cammy race motor and megaphone exhaust to match!
Cheers
Mike

Mike Pass

Supporter
A bit clearer on these two cars on the Enthusiasts Club area at the Stoneleigh Show a few years back.
Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_3000.jpg
    IMG_3000.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 392

Keith

How about the alternative Gulf colours like this one.

Gt40 losses control - YouTube

You could also go with the cammy race motor and megaphone exhaust to match!
Cheers
Mike

Is that really the alternative Gulf scheme (Grady) car Mike? Not showing too well despite the iPad bells and whistles, or perhaps my retina ain't what they used to be, but in that case it's a treble win!!! My favourite paint scheme on my favourite car making my most favourite sounds!,

Lord bless you sir, I am in hog heaven...

Darren, you should go for it as I've never seen anyone do it yet.

Attachments

• 1968 Gulf 1.jpg
    1968 Gulf 1.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 390
  • 1968 Gulf 2.jpg
    1968 Gulf 2.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 442
  • 1968 Gulf 3.jpg
    1968 Gulf 3.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 307

Mike Pass

Supporter
I was told that it was the alternative Gulf scheme but who told me or whether it is true is lost in the mists of my ancient memory. However it does make a nice change from the peacock blue/marigold that seems to have become a bit too popular. Must be something to do with all those Le Mans victories. I seem to remember that the usual "Gulf" colour scheme actually came from a company which was taken over by Gulf Oil and they adopted the colour scheme. I think it may have been called Standard Oil but don't quote me on it.
There are several original liveries that are quite rare but may be making a reappearance soon Eh Nick?
Cheers
Mike

You want a rare one eh! Why not look at the Linden Green cars. It is one of the most beautiful original colors out there. Here are a few at Gelscoe. Go to the bottom of the builds pages given here. Almost all the photos of this color are "OFF" , in that they don't convey the true color.

Gelscoe Motorsport’s pre 65 GT40 Chassis 3 | Gelscoe Motorsport

The closest to the true color is this one:

GEL W005 – Pre ’65 GT40 | Gelscoe Motorsport

The images are close to the color, but the camera isn't setup to capture its true color. Most images will be a light white green or even a grey. It may have something to do with the fact the color comes from base colors(black white yellow and blue).
I spent three months looking for a sample of this color. I have one of the original chip sheets of the color. You cant go to a paint supply house and ask for the color. Research will show 4 different sources for the color(GM, Lincoln, Kaiser, and Anglia). Only one is the true color. It comes from the 1960-61 English Ford Anglia 103E. European colors are a tad different from the U S(so are the codes). The best way is to duplicate through computer matching. If you are able to see one of the chip sheets(one of which I have), and the true color(the paint itself),you won't say that the color shown on the sheet is Linden Green, but it is. I took my chip and polished it with swirl remover and it brought out the shine, but not the color. I believe the chip is the color of the "base coat". Cars done in just the base coat and not covered with a clear coat, will darken over time. It may even be an enamel, but they too will darken(no UV protection). Search the GT-40s site for the color and there are several cars(replica and original) to be found. Compare them all and you will see diferent colors, all due to the angle of the photo, light conditions and the settings of the camera. My little Olympus fe gave me these results. Same settings.
Florescent light.
P6050392_zps41b85664.jpg

Flood(incandescent light)
P6050391_zps0407296b.jpg

Flash
P6050390_zpsdf25dd84.jpg

No Flash
P6050386_zpsbbd4b8c9.jpg

None of these are the color that I see on the car. The last is the closest.

Bill

Pat

Supporter
I agree with Larry (not surprising). I took these a couple of years ago at Daytona and Amelia Island last year.

Attachments

• P3100031.JPG
    P3100031.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 387
  • P3100029.JPG
    P3100029.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 323
  • P3100076.JPG
    P3100076.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 316
  • Daytona Grid 2.JPG
    Daytona Grid 2.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 355
  • Daytona Grid1.JPG
    Daytona Grid1.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 408

Keith

Yep - that's the car. I always thought it was a red but now it seems more if an orange. Great paint scheme and Gulf to boot. The Willment pics and the rear end treatment really nails it for me...

Mike Pass

Supporter
On the Linden Green scheme here is a pic I took at the Le mans Classic of the Gelscoe Motorsport built Mk1. The colour seems to look OK in this pic but this colour does change with the light. The colour should be easy to achieve as it was a standard Ford colour of the era and was commonly seen on Ford Cortinas, Anglias etc,
Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_3266.jpg
    IMG_3266.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 293
"The colour should be easy to achieve as it was a standard Ford colour of the era and was commonly seen on Ford Cortinas, Anglias etc,"

Mike I would agree with you in part. I chased this color down for 3 months.I even found the supplyer of the Anglia 103E club. They wouldn't work off the name or any supplyed information like the code of "BJ". They had to have a sample and then wouldn't ship overseas. Maybe you guys in England are closer than I am and can work with them. Gelscoe wouldn't even help and they have two cars on their web site that they restored. You will have to find an owner that is willing to give up a sample of their touch up paint. I have one source still in the works to get a true sample. If it is different from what I have then I may redo mine"again".
I was lucky in that I found one of two chip sheets on Ebay.
P6070395_zpsa69bc21b.jpg

I taped off half the samplee and used swirl remover. It polished the sample but didn't alter the color.
The sample there looks very dark and is probably the base coat or an enamel that has faded with time. The computer though came trough and got the color.
I found one commercial application that comes fairly close. The 2014 Fiat 500
P4050341_zps8bb9328d.jpg

When I finishh mine I will try to get a side by side photo.

Bill

Back