Roll Cage

Hi, I am looking to install a roll cage (or maybe just a roll bar) into my ERA GT40. Has anyone done this. Ideally I would like to keep it period correct, or at least similar to the roll bars installed in the JWA Gulf cars in 1968&69. Would appreciate any tips or advice or any images showing the roll cages in the JWA cars. Many thanks.

Last edited:
Look on my introduce here tread , there are some pic's of the roll cage on a roadster, somebody told me it's the same as one whit normal roof.
Simon

AntLeighs,
If you are planning to use the car on the road, pause and think very carefully.
The rollcage will be very hard and immovable, and only a short distance from your head. There is documented evidence of severe head trauma as a result of unprotected heads impacting rollcages in an accident (see the correspondence on this forum about Tom and a series of articles in the Enthusiasts Club magazine).
If you plan to use the car on the road, invest in a couple of lightweight carbon fibre helmets - they may save your lives.

As Tony has said, a in-cockpit roll over cage can be a greater danger than not having one at all, there is plenty of documented evidence and recorded deaths and permanent injury through head trauma on impact. Read the articles in the GT40 enthusiasts club magazines ( three articles ) and then decide. I for one will not drive or passenger in a car with an exposed cage. Frank

The best approach for primarily a road car may be a roll bar behind the bulkhead. Olthoff has done some of those on SPF's. If you search the SPF section there were photos. That wouldn't be period if that's imperative.

The ERA already has an integral roll bar. Not race legal, but strong enough for street safety.

layout.jpg

I believe Ant mentioned he wants to partake in classic racing in NZ which depending on which class he enters might dictate that he have a custom cage fabricated to NZ rules unless he can find someone with necessary qualifications to certify the current bar on a retrospective basis- unlikely IMHO - the roll cage rules here in NZ are a bit of a minefield these days.
Ant, am I correct in assuming this is the red ERA previously owned by Grant A.?... hope to meet up with you sometime around the traps.

Thanks Tony, appreciate the comment. Will be using the car primarily for classic racing. I'm about to send a membership application to the GT40 club. Are the previous magazine editions available on line or will I need to get my application approved before being able to access them. Thanks again, Ant

Thanks Tony, appreciate the comment. Will be using the car primarily for classic racing. I'm about to send a membership application to the GT40 club. Are the previous magazine editions available on line or will I need to get my application approved before being able to access them. Thanks again, Ant

Hi Ant,
My comments about road use are obviously inapplicable to you; apologies. However, anyone else reading this correspondence, who is contemplating fitting a rollcage to a road car would do well to ponder long and hard.
Once you've joined the Club, send me a 1Gb USB stick and PayPal the Club £15 and I will burn all issues since foundation in 1987 to the present day.

Hi Tony,
Thanks again for the offer to download the back issues of the club magazine. I have sent my club application and payment today, along with GBP15.00 as requested. My assistant will post the USB stick in the next day or two. Thanks again
Ant

Back