Windshield Wiper Wheel boxes

Maybe one of you gents from the UK can answer these questions? The MG wiper motors and wheel boxes look like Lucas units are they? Do all Lucas wheel boxes have the same diameter wiper arm mounting? If they are the same diameter what arm should I get to go on the GT?

Hey Dave not sure if you have reached the stage where you have checked the extent the range of the whiper arm but the Lucas wiper motor has degrees marked on the cover or gear most are 110 deg I think.

Problem is you will have trouble getting it to wipe the full screen. Fear not I got a tip from a Morris enthusiest. Simple fix when you get the Lucas wiper motor take the cover off the drive gear, remove the the large gear (couple of circlip ) that drives the wiper cable. There is a pin spot welded near the outside edge that pushes the drive arm, you need to drill the spot weld out making sure you leave a bit of the pin long enough to re weld it.

The trick is to move the pin closer to the outer edge, but it only needs to move a very small amount about 1 to 2 mm (small amount makes a big difference) you can drill a new location close to the original but make sure it's near the original location that keeps the park in the correct position then simply re weld it into the new location. Once the wheel box is installed and connected to wiper motor turn the motor on and let park then install the whiper blade. If the range isn't quiet right you need to move the pin again but only very small change makes a big difference. Mine worked perfectly.

This will save you trying to find different degree wheels which was a pain in the arse.

Mick

Back