Front Clip Mounting

Does any body happen to have a drawing with dimensions of the mounting spool (bobbin) for the front clip? not sure which it is called.

Have you got the horseshoe brackets that go on the front bodywork? If not, the bobbins aren't much use. If you have, you can get some of the dimensions from the brackets and I can give you the rest.

Regards,

Hi Graham:

I have plates cut to make the brackets from. I figured the bobbin size would help me figure the brackets out. These bobbin and bracket do not get as much attention as the hinge system most use.

Dave:
Are you hinging your front clip or going like the original?
I have some drawings if you are going the hinge route.
Phil

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I have the Plastic RCR bobbins and aluminum channels laying around somewhere.. I will take a look as they have no value to me. I designed my own tilt front hinge system that you can find on my build site if you are so inclined... I work on my car alone most of the time and the thought of having to have a helper to get into the front clip was not where I wanted to go..

Randy,
Getting the clip off and on is easy with the bobbins. Throw blanket down in front of car, unlatch, and slide off on end. I had the tilt set-up and wouldn't put it back on. S

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Randy,
Getting the clip off and on is easy with the bobbins. Throw blanket down in front of car, unlatch, and slide off on end. I had the tilt set-up and wouldn't put it back on. S

Hi Scott -
I agree that it "should" be easy, but it's not so much so as you need to have a lot of extra space around you for the hood panel and enough room for the entire nose of the car. Not to mention the required blanket, the disconnection of wiring if you don't have long enough leads.. I chose to sacrifice that little bit of originality for the sake of serviceability and ease of use.. My front clip can easily be removed by pulling out two quick release pins (I have bolts in place right now) and disconnecting the wiring plug to the front lights,
To each their own and that's my mantra..

Back