What are your Winter time projects

Thought I would start a thread on winter time projects. I am in the middle of rewiring the dash. The last of the wiring additions and changes are done(I think) and now it its time to straighten up and organize the wiring so It doesn't look like a snakes nest. The last change was to rewired the low oil pressure cut off from the fuel pumps to the ignition. That assures that all stops and there is no possibility of electrical shorts or arcs. There will still be pressure in the fuel lines, but there is no way to get around that. Here it is without the cable wraps. Looks scarry.
PC070025_zpsaac44c7e.jpg

I had the first part of the final tune done several weeks ago and the final part will be done in the spring. This part included adjusting all the maps and phasing the distributor. Had a terrible surging at rpms above 2000. The temps at the time it was done, were in the low twenties so we decided to do the dyno run and final tweaks with the weather more in line with those it would be driven in. This will allow me to get the final interior work done that has been put off for too long. In preparation for that I have built a new mount for the coil on the front of the engine to get it off the firewall.
PC070026_zpsd9a17c25.jpg

I plan to add filters to the injectors. Whether they will be individual or a box arrangement hasn't been decided yet. If I go box it may be a lexan one that will be built.

Bill

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Re-establishing my relationship with my wife :heart: after having spent excessive hours on the "project" last summer. This is an annual endeavor, but I'm not as well focused on that as I should, and I'm back in the garage getting the sway bars installed, and links and mounts made.

Getting my car ready for this vintage racing season (having blown the engine at Indy), then clearing out my garage to make room for the delivery of my RCR40...hopefully around the beginning of April.
zots-albums-racing-adventures-picture1449-racing-road-track-indy-summer-2014-svra-1967-road-race-america-champion-car-d-mod-daytona.jpg

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Organizing my shop so I can pull the GT40 out into the middle and start working on it again.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
...'trying to buy a "'60s classic car".

Dear God in heaven, what a frustrating exercise THAT is proving to be... :yuck:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
'Not "looking". I've found it. But, the asking price truly is about $10K more than the car's actually worth (according to all the 'experts' I've talked to...including the folks at Hagerty, for instance). I can't see much point in handing over what amounts to a $10K "premium" just for the 'privilege' (I guess?) of buying the car from its present owner...and the owner refuses to negotiate on the price even though the car's been on the market for about a year that I know of...which indicates to me the "experts" are right - it is overpriced. ('Nice as the car is, it would have been gone instantly otherwise...even if the price had been a couple grand higher than it's worth.) Neither of us is budging. So, I don't really see it happening anytime soon...or, 'truth be told, at all for that matter. (I truly get the impression the owner knowingly put what he knew was an unrealistically high price on the car with the idea that if someone were willing to step up and pay it - yippeeeee. Otherwise he couldn't care less whether it sold or not. That's a 'no win' situation and therefore a total waste of time for a buyer IMHO.)

'Don't want to get into "what" the car is.
:chug:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I see what you're saying.... I have a couple of classics that I will be selling - but not because I have to.. They were both purchased for their investment potential and will be sold for my price or just not sold. I've already had all the tire-kicking, leg-humping lowballers trying to buy them for half of what I am asking. BTW, the price I'm asking is below what the actual appraised values are...
There's a difference between what the Value of the car is and what it's worth. What it's worth is typically less than the value. Unless you get lucky in the rich-man's drunk tank called Barrett Jackson..
It's a tough deal for prospective buyers to understand.

Good luck with your purchase!

thread title being : What are your Winter time projects

Have done all fiberglass molds of an Lotus 23 and for now am in the process to built on my own, a chassis !

Attachments

• ensemble cloison moteur - Copie.JPG
    ensemble cloison moteur - Copie.JPG
    219.6 KB · Views: 301
  • ensemble cloison moteur .JPG
    ensemble cloison moteur .JPG
    246.3 KB · Views: 374

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
1) Get TIG welder
2) Learn to weld
3) Finish my chassis
4) Get it rolling....

Steps 5 to 235 not printed to preserve the sanity of the author.

My projects are the same in the winter as the summer here in Sydney.
The difference is I would wear 2 T shirts in the winter while doing it.

I have been thinking I might go over to Bills place and unravel the bowl of spaghetti from under his dash.

Jim

Well I have managed to complete several of my planned projects. I finally got the snakes nest settled down and looking a little more managable. Just have to print out the labels for each weather pack.
P1130046_zps1e3phrcw-1.jpg

I also had to revise the neutral gate linkage. It worked well when first installed but has gotten sloppy and hangs up on 2-3 shift, and the gear selector is marginal in that the gear shifter tends to be short for second gear and can't always tell if I am in the gear when selected. So a new framework and bushings for the lever(s) were employed. Didn't really like the direction change mechanism so that was replaced ands beefed up as well.
P1250056_zpszxlpgqsb-1.jpg

As usual one change begets another. So The Z link was revised along with the heat shield and mount for the gear selector. A threaded rod was incorporated to fine tune the fore and aft throws.
P1250067_zpsq2hkpeev-1.jpg

It now feels more positive. Now have to test all the wiring revisions and take it for a spin if the weather will cooperate. Time to get it to the fabric shop to finish the interior. Will think more about adding stripes to it next.

Bill

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Just in case one of them might be what I'm looking for, 'you wanna shoot me a PM regarding what they might be? :lipsrsealed:

what have you got Randy??? do tell...

Sorry guys, I missed these messages...

I will be selling the following vehicles in the spring -

1969 Camaro SS 4 spd 12-bolt car - numbers matching survivor with no rust ever.. It's about a 7.5 out of 10 car and drives wonderfully. I am the 3rd owner. Has documentatios / protecto-plate..
1956 Chevy 2 Door 210 roller, fairly complete, some rust in floor pans, comes with patch panels, 350-4bolt main core short block, good 700R4 automatic.
1982 Honda CBX 1000 6 cylinder SuperSport. This one is a 9 out of 10 original bike with 25k miles on it. Just went through the carbs this fall. Excellent condition.
1999 Victory V92C motorcycle. 106th bike they made. Full documentation. Custom House Of Kolor paint job. Has something like 2500 miles on it. Rides great and is very strong.

-------

I've been busy on the weekends this winter doing the body work on my GT.. Learning as I go...

Well just to throw a spanner in your `winter` projects, I am busy trying to get more cool air thru the workshop and contend with 28deg long hot sunny days. Next thing we will be wanting some rain. I scored some aluminium grills 15 years ago and they have now made themselves useful in the end wall, sadly when winter comes they will need covering up.
Cheers

Back