Back Up Camera

I did a search on back up cameras on the site and see a few posts from 2008/2011 were most were talking about a camera for rear view vs just backing up. For those of you running just a back up camera, anyone have suggestion on one that shows the back up view in a windshield rear view mirror that is basically worthless in a GT40?

Gary,

I'm so glad you started this thread. I too have spent the last week searching for a rear view camera and display. I guess you saw the CCC Manhattan video that illustrated that there is basically no rear view from the rear view mirror. People that are already driving know this, but I don't have my car complete yet and wanted to do something before it is finished.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3Wbgl_ZP_A&feature=youtu.be

Nissan and Cadillac are coming out with a good rear view camera and display; however, to date I can't find exactly what I want.

What I would like to have is a display that is about 7" wide including case and a 25:8 aspect ratio. There are several on the market with a 16:9 ratio but only have a width of 4.3" and therefore only use half of the mirror for the display. The 25:8 is wide and narrow and thus doesn't come down too much from the roof to intrude into the forward visibility (compared to a 8.8" 16x9 format).

The closest thing that I have found is the Tview RV808C. It has the 25:8 aspect ratio but is 8.8" viewing area which makes the overall width 10.7". This is too wide, but is the only thing on the market that I can find. I suspect that there will be numerous options within the next year, but for now this is it.
Tview RV808C 8.8 inch LCD rear view mirror monitor with License plate camera kit

Mounting the display on the roof and tilting it does not take away any more intrusion below the windshield that the normal mirror does and does allow a very wide view behind the car. My roof is double skinned and I think that it is hollow in the center so I can run the wires from the front to the rear of the roof so they won't be seen.

The camera that comes with that package is evidently not very high resolution. I will get another camera with better resolution. Also, that camera has a 120 degree field of view which might be good for backup, but I will probably get a 90 degree camera to use as a rear view.

Let's continue the discussion.

-Bob Woods

Attachments

• Tview RV808c.jpg
    Tview RV808c.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 405
  • rear view monitor.jpg
    rear view monitor.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 394
  • rear view mirror.jpg
    rear view mirror.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 396
  • backup camera view angles.jpg
    backup camera view angles.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 408
Last edited:
Not a GT40, but my SLC is using a 7" tablet mounted in the roof panel for my rear view camera. The camera is mounted in a shark-fin case on the roof, and is connected via a wifi connection to the tablet. I used a wifi connection since it was easy and inexpensive to send video to a really good quality but inexpensive video screen. I'm using a Nexus 7.

There is a bit of lag due to propagation delay and video processing, but I think I will like it.

No pics to show- I've just had it working in test mode to prove the concept. Visibility is good, and cars in what used to be a blind spot are visible. There isn't a lot of detail far away, but how fast could anything close on me anyway?? :)

Bob,
Unless you want to use a mirror format for the display, you have a couple of other things to think about. There are several threads on the forum on the very subject. Search for cameras, rear view cameras, etc. For just backing up any small bumper mount camera will do. What is displayed is "usually" good enough to get into a parking space. I think you will not be that happy with the unit you are looking at. The CMOS cameras will give you a slightly greenish hue to the picture. You want to look for CCD units to get better image. The display is not going to be that important for just backing up. If you want to use the camera to really look back as a mirror would do, then you have to start thinking where you are going to mount the camera. Much higher than where a bumper would be. Other wise you will be looking at the road and you won't be able to judge anything coming up on you. You would also have to start thinking about Field Of View. anything more than 90 degrees will make all images approaching very small until they are right up on you, then they will look very big. Several of the SLC guys have set theirs up with their tablets and use usb cameras and they look really good. Problem is they take up too much room for A 40. GOOGLE rear view cameras and you will get several sites that can handle pretty much what you want. There are cameras out there that are recorders as well and look in both directions(front and rear)
I have a 3 cameras setup on my 40 that handles all rear functions. One was mounted up on the top rear section of the spyder, but it has been removed for the time being as it looked like, as one forum member said, like a wart up there. It will be replaced with a tiny ball type camera The other two are hidden inside my side mirrors, and I use a screen(7") that displays all the cameras at once or sequentially.My screen is mounted slightly under the dash, in the center and aimed toward the drivers seat. It isn't distracting at all. I got them years ago before there were usb cameras, and are CMOS units with 120 degree FOV. The way they function is really good for me. I am able to judge overtaking cars fairly well. As the approaching car leaves the center mirror(the one I just removed), it comes into the side mirror. As it leaves that mirror it is at my window and I can see them there.
One other point, some of the screens that are employed today are rather bright and that may hamper you in a backing situation(at night). My F150(2013) almost blinds me when backing at night and I am not able to see very well with my regular mirrors. The fish eye lens employed lets me see the side areas but I can't judge how far away they are. Directly behind me has a warning bar and beeper.
You may want to go to some of the dealers to "test drive" their units to see if that is what you really want. FYI the older threads have some good info on them even though they are dated.

Bill

Bill,

Thank you. I was hoping for some more experience and discussion. Sounds like your system is really good. How do you get all three cameras on one screen or did I not understand that correctly?

-Bob Woods

Reverse?

Do you Guys plan on parallel parking?

I never had the need to see behind me.

While backing up...there were always enough people gawking at the car to offer assistance!

Scott,
Don't ever take your car out on a date. If you have to park it yourself(without a backup camera), you will be looking for an end spot all night. Some of the higher end restaurants or hotels will let you park it out front. If not you will have the same problem. I like to back into a spot in these situations, as backing out of one can be dangerous to all concerned.

Bob,
Will respond to you tonight. In the OR.

Bill

Scott,
Don't ever take your car out on a date. If you have to park it yourself(without a backup camera), you will be looking for an end spot all night. Some of the higher end restaurants or hotels will let you park it out front. If not you will have the same problem. I like to back into a spot in these situations, as backing out of one can be dangerous to all concerned.

Bob,
Will respond to you tonight. In the OR.

Bill

That would be nice, but by the letter of my agreed value insurance policy (Hagerty) it would not allow me to park the car and walk away. Valet or not. Or even drive the car to work. There would be no coverage in that situation if there was a loss. So, in my situation, that point would be moot. The only time I would be covered to be able to walk away and leave it unattended would be a show or other similar event.

What would be nice is a rear view camera or rear parking assist sensor that has a wireless APP for an I-phone. Who knows maybe that exists.

Just checked real quick...

http://www.4ucam.com/iphone-android-ipad-WIFI-Backup-Camera.html?gclid=CPbGkZiP9sICFc1i7AodjlkAXg

Last edited:
Scott,
When my car was ready for the road(the first time), I checked with Haggerty and several others. they all had the same basic policy. I felt that was too restrictive. I then went to my regular insurance group AMiCA and asked them how much would it cost to add it to my multicar policy I own a 2009 Mercedes E350, A 2012 Volkswagen Beetle, and a 2004 Dodge 150 Ram (at the time of insuring the 40). They wanted to research my car and I told them to do so, with the warning that they wouldn't find it on a normal search. I explained to them that I imported the car and it was based on the 1965-66 Ford GT 40 and finished building the car and that if it were involved in an accident that I would be the one to do the repairs. They agreed to add the car on a total replacement policy only. This was all done while on my cell phone on the way to pick the car up from its last shop visit. I agreed to send them pictures of the car for their records. The additional cost to my policy was less that any of the other cars I have(the Dodge has since been traded in on a 2013 F150 crew cab. I get to drive it just like any of them. I enjoy that feature as I like to drive it to work every once in a while as well as visit with some of my buddies, family and friends. I don't have to have any special anti theft features on the car, even though I do, nor do I have any mileage restrictions. If the car is totaled and I survive, Almost everything useable on the car would go on its replacement a roller. That way I don't have a sky high replacement value on the car. Just one a little higher than a roller.
Check with your policy holder and see if they can work something out on your car. You might just save some money and gain some enjoyment of your car.BTW That is why I put the rear view cameras on the car. To make it safer to drive.

Bill

Back to cameras I tried 2.
One was a rear vision style it was useless, it is to close to you and it made it hard to focus on what was in the view.

I went to a small eye type camera with about 120deg angle, the screen I have mounted on a small post on the skirt of the dash,it would be about a 3" screen.

In traffic it is perfect, a lot of cars hang out of the side in your blind spot checking you out.
If you wear sunglasses you need to buy the lightest you can as it can make the screen dark to see.

I have it on all the time but it is wired through a switch.
I find it is good for reversing.

The mount does not have to look like a wart if you dont have a huge camera.
I did not try to hide it but instead made it a visual thing and it looks ok in my mind.

Jim

Attachments

• PB160031.JPG
    PB160031.JPG
    388.8 KB · Views: 456
Bob,
This is for you. I have 3 cameras that I use. As Jim mentioned there are definite blind spots on these cars. I set mine up so as to cover those. In the past I destroyed the front end on a Lotus Turbo Esprit because I couldn't see overtaking cars well when I wanted to change lanes. The fish eye cameras at 120 and above will not tell you well what is coming up on you or judge distance at all. If you can find 90 degree FOV then you will see as you do in an ordinary mirror, but setup correctly the 120s will do the job. When I first got my cameras there were no 90 degree units. Hind sight I should have gotten 3 side mount cameras
P1010123-1.jpg

as they look a lot like Jim's and will probably be the one that replaces the original central rear view setup. I had one of the box cameras and it did look bulky.
P1010074.jpg

My other two cameras are mounted in the side mirrors(RX-7). I got those mirrors because they were electric, but later found out they didn't work. The mounting for the motors worked fine as a base for the cameras
P4190190-1.jpg

My first iteration utilized the side mount camera in it body, but it proved too large for the space in the mirror. When I disassembled the cameras I discovered they were just small balls and some finagling got them mounted. The mounts are just plexiglass and they are bonded to the mirrors that I had made up at a glass and mirror shop. Several sessions on mounting and aiming them. This is what I finally came up with. They are mounted on plexiglass so they can be mounted with or without the side windows. Didn't like the body mount. Was too low and visibility wasn't the greatest.
P1010150.jpg

The screen that they are displayed on is a 4 camera setup(7"). It allows you to see all at once or you can scroll through them separately.
P1010139-1.jpg

P1010058-2.jpg

And the central one.
P1010059-2.jpg

I moved the screen location to beneath the dash, as I kept hitting the screen with my knee.
I really like the 4UCAM that Scott found. and at a great price as well. It might work as a tag mount as the camera can be aimed up away from the street. You need to mount the tag up on the rear clip as mine is. Other wise you will need to go to the roof of the spyder for good viewing. I may add this to my setup if it doesn't make it too bulky. I need to replace my Android as it is beginning to act up. Just have to think about how to mount it. Here are some of the links here on the Forum to look at:
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/rcr-forum-rcr40-slc-p4-mkiv/36158-rear-view-camera.html
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tech-exterior-interior-ac-trim/41179-rear-parking-sensors.html#post419357
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tech-exterior-interior-ac-trim/38802-experiment.html#post391393
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/all-gt40/37102-rear-camera.html#post369863
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/rcr-forum-rcr40-slc-p4-mkiv/36158-rear-view-camera.html
These should help some. Use Google and you will find several sitess and systems to consider.

Bill

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Watching and reading with intense curiosity... I had bought a wired backup camera with license plate mount for the GT40, but other than to ensure it worked, it's not been out of the package since and that was about 5-6 years ago. I may still like to use it for the GT - depending...

Now where my real need is for my 40' fifth wheel Toy Hauler trailer that we pull behind my crew cab dually.. I could sure use some sort of wireless solution that has that sort of range.
IE - I want a camera on the back of the trailer so I can see what I am going to back over when I am sitting in the truck almost two zip codes away!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 330
Bill,

Thank you for such a good discussion and ideas. You have a very nice system.

I have spent a lot of time on Google and I am somewhat up to date. Today, there are much smaller cameras that are available. I agree with you that I want an 90 degree FOV because I want to use it for a "rear view" and not necessarily for parking.

I continue to think that I will get the Tview RV808 display; however, the camera that comes with that is 120 degrees and is of low video resolution and does not have very good low light capability. When it gets to low light, it switches to infra red and displays in black and white. I will get another camera with the 90 degree FOV, better video resolution, and better low light capability so I can stay in color in low light.

Today's cameras can be quite small. I think I can remove one from a license plate bracket and put it in the body work. It seems to fit in the groove at the top rear of the roof (but inside the rear window). That is as high as I could get it and I think it will fit. See photo for example.

I have repositioned the display to be more on the roof and only extending down into the view of the front windshield an inch or two. While the Tview display is larger than I want and will be at somewhat of a viewing angle from the driver, I think I can clearly see things behind me at a glance. A smaller screen might require more than a glance.

I like your idea of multiple cameras. The RV808 has two video inputs and I might mount a camera with a view on the driver's side so I can see someone passing me (did I say PASSING ME?). I don't know if the two cameras can be displayed at the same time.

I will report back when I have the systems.

-Bob Woods

Attachments

• Boyo camera.jpg
    Boyo camera.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 287
A note of caution. If you place the camera in the engine bay area looking through the rear window/cover, the plexi may give you a distorted view. Try it out by taping it in place and see what it looks like. Do the Google search and see if you can't find the system/parts that will give you what you want. Some of the sites will let you swap out parts at little to no cost. Using an OEM camera, you may not be able to get compatibility with other pieces. Good to know someone that understands electronics(better than me).

Bill

Bill,

I have actual glass in the rear so I don't anticipate a problem.

I have been discussing this with Raul from Quality Mobile Video and he knows what parts will be compatible. I think we have it narrowed down already.

Dwight,

I will probably order everything on Monday and report on how well it works. I have a 3D printer if I need to fabricate a mount for the display. I could take out the electronics and put it in a new housing if necessary.

-Bob Woods

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Thinking out loud here

With Apple being on v6 of the I Phone and no doubt Samsung etc also have earlier versions available

Would an I phone split into 2 parts work?
You have a zoom function which changes the viewable angle
A camera of a good pixel size and very small in physical size
A small display that could be mounted in side the car

I have never pulled one apart but would think it would work

Ian

Back