Best type of filler (UK)???

Hi
I'm about to start the final part of my GT40 jigsaw - mechanically it's all done, so now to sort out the shut lines and fit the wide arches.

I'm planning to do most of the work in glass fibre, but I'll have to use some filler. What is recommended? On 'overhaulin' I saw them use a filler with carbon fibre strands in it when working on a glass fibre body as it has less tendency to crack or delaminate. Is this available in the UK, or is it overkill?

Any help would, as always, be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Darren

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I don't know if it is available across the pond, but I'm using Evercoat's Everglass product which has both fiberglass and kevlar in it.. I've not heard of a filler with Carbon Fiber in it, but that doesn't mean much...
I've heard this stuff called every name in the book:
Kitty hair, tiger hair, bondo glass, etc....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 172

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Another pic with a word of warning ---
Work this stuff while it is still plastic, because once it fully cures, it is like sanding steel!!!!:shocked:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 234

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
I've not heard of a filler with Carbon Fiber in it, but that doesn't mean much...

There was one advertised recently on Wheeler Dealers a UK based auto show where they were restoring a corvette body and using a thin coat of a new carbon strand based filler to strengthen the body to prevent future stress cracking.

It was called U-Pol SMC;
http://www.u-pol.co.uk/product-cat/...ific-high-adhesion-easy-sand-fibre-filler.htm

I have no personal experience of the product.

Julian

Last edited:
Back