RX7 mirror gaskets

Bob,
I sourced mine through a bone yard. That is where most of those cars wound up!! Might be a specialty yard that handles imports. On line searches are best. Some of them have national connections that they can post what you are looking for. Try 85 Rx-7 mirrors/body parts/parts cars/..... Gaskets etc. You can get thin sheets of rubber from Ace hardware etc., and cut your own. I mounted mine on pieces of lexan or polycarbonate and mounted them in the front corner of the window. That allos you to mount them with or without the side window. Easily replaced if becomes scratched. Liked the angle it gave better than the body mounted.

Bill

Bob
Not sure if my RHD mirrors are the same, but they only had a plastic gasket to the body. As I ground the mount base, I didn't end up using them.
I did however add an extra mount bolt (3 in total) to help stabilise it.
If you stumble over some new glass for them, could you let me know.

Clayton

Attachments

• 06.01.14 024.jpg
    06.01.14 024.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 298
  • 06.01.14 026.jpg
    06.01.14 026.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 336
clayton I like your mirrors if they are the same as bob's I will try and get a set my current mirrors suck and I cant see anything.

Chris Kouba

Supporter

I looked for a while in search of replacement glass and came up empty handed. I have a LHD drivers side for which I wanted a convex and a pass side convex which was cracked and missing a portion. Never found either but it's been so long I can't honestly remember exactly how hard I looked.

I do remember it being problematic when looking though.

In the end, I swapped in a pair of 4" convex chrome bullets onto each side of the front clip and couldn't be happier.

If you'd like the driver's side (left side, flat glass), it'd be yours for shipping.

Chris

clayton I like your mirrors if they are the same as bob's I will try and get a set my current mirrors suck and I cant see anything.
Thanks Paul

Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Originally Posted by otto69
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
I looked for a while in search of replacement glass and came up empty handed. I have a LHD drivers side for which I wanted a convex and a pass side convex which was cracked and missing a portion. Never found either but it's been so long I can't honestly remember exactly how hard I looked.

I do remember it being problematic when looking though.

In the end, I swapped in a pair of 4" convex chrome bullets onto each side of the front clip and couldn't be happier.

If you'd like the driver's side (left side, flat glass), it'd be yours for shipping.

Chris
Thanks for the offer Chris
Will try and find out if the LHD & RHD glass are the same.

Bob
Had a look around for my old gaskets, but couldn't find them. Must have thrown them.

Clayton

Chris Kouba

Supporter
The glass in the link will fit any first gen (79-85) but it is flat. The field of view with the flat glass is usable but very small. I never felt very confident changing lanes and actually installed a small convex mirror on the driver's window sill (inside the window) to assist with the blind spot.

The convex glass does a much more useful job, but mine is broken up and I couldn't find convex replacement. I think convex on BOTH sides with these mirrors would be ideal.

I switched to the 4" chrome bullets after riding in Tim Dutton's RCR which is equipped with them. They were vastly superior to the RX7 models and convex glass was easy to find. Yeah, the RX mirrors look great (see below!) and I liked their placement and the fact that they were body colored, but functionality trumps aesthetics on my ride.

IMG_5150.JPG

I have toyed with painting the chromes to match but I think the chrome is appropriate for the period look.

*** Clayton- Let me know what you find out about R/LHD glass. I have had someone inquire about my mirrors and if you're not interested, I would like to see them go to a good home.

Chris

I need new gaskets for 1985 RX7 electric side mirrors. I can't find them. Anyone know a source?

Bob Woods

I have a neoprene rubber sheet 1/16" thick and made my own gaskets for the fog lamp covers. You could do the same easily for your mirrors. I have plenty of extra material if you want some of it.

Great stuff for gaskets.

Hi guys,
another source of mirror is 1990-93 Oldsmobile 88,i got a set at a pickapart in Louisville.
I posted them on here somewhere.
Cheers Ali

Back