Gas / Pneumatic springs / struts to open and hold clip

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Okay guys... I know the info is out there somewhere and I just simply can't find it through all the messages I have searched..

I'd like to find some part numbers or reference materials for Gas Springs (some people call them shocks or struts) to act as helpers to open and hold (limit) both my front and rear clips. I am not looking for anything that makes the clips featherweight, but some assistance would be good.

Any help is appreciated...

I know this is UK based company but look at www.speciality-fasteners.co.uk I bought mine from them and they came pre-gassed then by releasing the gas through a small bleed nipple i could tension the struts to the correct level.
Also by careful positioning I could use the front strut to both lift the front clip and create pressure to keep it closed when fully shut

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Huw,

Thanks for the note.. I read a post that you made a number of years ago about these... Would you be able to get a part number and some open and closed dimensions please?

Thank you!

Randy,
I have the shocks you are looking for. On the rear clip you will need 2) 40# shocks. Where you mount them will determine the lengths that work best for you. Here is the ebay seller that will help you the best. Mine are 11" body and 20" open extension.
2ea 20" Nitro Prop Strut Gas Spring Shock Lift Support Shaft Arm Rep SPD 2300 40 | eBay
With these you can open the rear hatch with one hand as seen in this walk around video I did years ago.
http://vid282.photobucket.com/albums/kk242/Billmusarra/GT%2040/P9140225.mp4

If you look closely you will see the mounting points.
Here is one of them mounted and the anchor points I used.
P1220048_zps03kobhdj.jpg

P1220049_zpsyajng3hn.jpg

P1220050_zpsuxfg6btz.jpg

When open I didn't want much weight pressing on the shocks when open. So I chose a point where they were not pulling the shock but resting on it. This way any wind gust when open will not create any panic.

Bill

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
GREAT INFORMATION GENTS!!! Thanks!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back