Steering Wheel Spacer

Does anyone make a spacer for the steering wheel or have a design? I have a GTD. I am on the short end of our species and find myself reaching just far enough that it makes it a little uncomfortable. I do not want to hard mount the seats.

Any help is appreciated.

Robert

Howard Jones

Supporter
The original GTD steering shaft does have some adjustment in it. Look under the dash and see if that helps. I am 5'2'' and I can get mine right for me. If not, how much spacer thickness do you need?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
It was the need of something simple like a steering wheel spacer that moved me to buy my own lathe and mill machine as I was presented with a $200 labor bill from a local machine shop when I had supplied the raw material... It was very simple. 3.5" diameter with a 1.5" hole in the center and 6 holes drilled. Ugh... You might want to check with Mike Fortes of Fortes Parts Connection.. Http://www.fortesparts.com - I know Mike had made some steering wheel adapters and spacers in the past but that was maybe 10 years ago. He may still have what you need..

The original GTD steering shaft does have some adjustment in it. Look under the dash and see if that helps. I am 5'2'' and I can get mine right for me. If not, how much spacer thickness do you need?

Do you have any more details on how this adjustment works? I looked under and did not see anything, but I don't exactly know what I am looking for. I only need an 1" or 2".

Ian - thanks for the info. One of these may work as well.

Howard Jones

Supporter
If you have the original collapsible OEM steering column then the steering wheel can be moved up and down and in and out by loosening a big plastic knob under the dash that tightens a clamping arrangement which saves the position you have selected.

Take a picture of your steering wheel and another of the steering column under the dash for us.

You need something like this right? Google "steering wheel spacer"

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/25mm...Wheel-Boss-Kit-Adapter-Spacer/1322068117.html

Or more $$

http://www.sparcousa.com/product/steering-wheel-spacer

Last edited:
Howard,

I will look and let you know. I have been told by some other on the forum that mine is the very last GTD that was built by them before they sold the name off. Hopefully, I will have what you are describing and life just got a little easier.

Thanks again!
Robert

Back