AC Issues

SPF 2284 / 302 / Eight Stack

The engine is setup with two fan belts. One form the crank to the compressor using a tensioner and the other belt to the crank - alt - comp.

The smaller belt to the comp self destructed and now is if I switch on the AC I get a fan belt squeal!

I only have 1,200 miles on the engine/car. Anyone having similar problems? What's the best way to trouble shoot the compressor?

Thanks,

Tom

Usually I've gotten compressor squeal if the belt isn't tight enough. I don't quite understand your question. Are you running with just the one belt now? If so is the belt that's gone the one that tensions the compressor the most? Most SPF's one serpentine belt. I'm having a little trouble understanding why you have two belts. Which belt runs the water pump?

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Tom, same questions as Dave. Your description is not clear, maybe a picture would help. Is the squeal constant, under acceleration, just initially at start up?

Also, if the pulley is not covered by the belt at least 30%, maybe more, then the belt can slip.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I would propose the belt was loose and is now "glazed". I suggest changing out the belt and while it is off clean the pulley "V"s with a 3M Scotchbrite pad.

If indeed you need a new compressor I have them in stock.

The best front end drive system I have seen is this one: » Designer (Front) Dress - The Murgese GT Website of Record

We also sell this system which was developed by an SPF GT40 owner and is very nice, compact and has a built-tensioner for the serpentine belt.

Sorry for the confusion!

So there were two fan belts. The compressor has two belt positions. Both belts drive the compressor. One is from the crank to the compressor and has a tensioner. The other belt goes to the crank, alternator, water pump and compressor.

The smaller belt to the compressor self destructed. The other belt is nice and tight but now is if I switch on Seized the AC I get a fan belt squeal!

I only have 1,200 miles on the engine/car. Is it possible that the compressor went bad and locked up?? If so, what's the best way to trouble shoot the compressor?

Is it possible that one standard v belt isn't robust enough to drive the alternator, water pump and compressor, so whoever set the AC up added the second belt?

Thanks,

Tom

I would follow both Rick and Tim's suggestions. Put 2 new belts on and clean the compressor pulley. As Tom said you need at least 30% of the pulley covered by the belt. A photo would help. I wouldn't change the compressor until you try it with new tight belts. I would think the sight glass on the A/C drier up front might be cloudy if your compressor seized, but I'm not an A/C expert.

Back