Mk1 Rear Clam Number Tag Differences

In looking at various cars here and in my Spain book I see several different rear spoiler sections on Mark 1 cars. Some smooth like SPF, some with a single step, no opening, and some like my RCR car with a step and a second step that appears to be cut out by most.

Frankly I like the aesthetics of the SPF version and was thinking of filling mine in on the center, and cutting the outer openings like some cars.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the history behind any of the versions? Secondly, has anyone filled the step in to make the rear flush all the way across?
Thanks
Dennis

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Dennis,

it the original UK license plate mounting location...and correct to a GT40

Some cars in period that were primarily race cars had it opened up and used as an additional hot air vent

Some cars in period that were primarily race cars had it opened up and used as an additional hot air vent

Just to illustrate... a pic of 1076

Attachments

• 1076 AR.jpg
    1076 AR.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 283
The original bodywork with the 2 lights on each side generally didn't have the number plate recess. Bodywork with the single light unit on each side had the number plate recess which was usually opened up to serve as an exit for the hot air.

Regards,

Back