Front lens fit - RCR

So, I am not a body guy in any form of imagination.

I was cutting the clear lens material for the head lamps and noticed the thickness of the body to the channel the lens fits into varies.

This is on a RCR.

The lens sits at the same depth as the body on most places - but there are some where the lens is above the body making it look crappy.

So the question is; is this normal and do most people grind this out, reglass and adjust the body to fit the lens???

For reference, the lenses are plastic and I am using SS threads inserted into the body. Thread size is 8-32.

Any information on what others have done or are doing would be helpful. I have no idea if I have a normal situation or if I am going to learn body work at a rip age.

Thanks,

Tru

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Tru,

This is normal from what I can tell having talked with a few others on the subject. Same for the driving light cavity and side windows..

Remember that these molds were taken from an early car (1008 so I am told) and there are variances.. You will find that the gel coat is thick enough in most of these areas where you can sand it down with a triangular detail sander to make up the difference.

Back