Dzus Fasteners on front clip

Guys need some opinions. Looks like the front clip had 2 Dzus fasteners in front of the wind screen to help hold the front clip on.

Question is are they needed or not?

Dave,
If you have a good lip on the front clip chances are you won't need it(preventing lift from low pressure zone). At least I didn't. You might consider using it to keep the front clip from chattering against the sill and messing with the paint.

Bill

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I installed them on mine for the very reasons Bill cited above..

I found that installing them helped limit the side to side movement of the front clip as well. It helped with that alignment and maintained the gap at the edges of the spider to front clip area. Also it holds the middle of the clip in the correct position as listed in previous posts. I would definitely recommend fitting them.

What is just as important is to make sure that all of the air coming through the radiator ( and several other places ) is exhausted through the openings in the nostril panel , to prevent build up of pressure under the clip. GTDs , and some others, had reduced openings in the nostril with apertures of less size than the ingress holes, which can cause a considerable pressure under the clip. Again, on some cars the dzus fastners were then bolted onto the clip with 2mm bolts, which can shear under pressure.

Gents, Yes the Dzus is more original to the car, however I decide to go a different route.
I did not create a workable vent for the center NACA, but also did not want to just leave it un opened and painted.
What I did was to fab a billet aluminum filler piece that fills the NACA hole (attaches with two countersunk machine screws from the back side), then the bottom of the filler has a male "V" pointing downwards that slides into a billet female "V" which is attached to the chassis. That centers the front clip left-right, up-down. Then, in the lower portion of the male "V" theres a 3/16" hole in it to accept a T-pin. The front clip isn't going anywhere with that pin in place.
I don't have any pics to share at the moment, but will post them soonest.
Thanks,

Doug

Doug, That sounds like a very elegant solution to a common problem. Looking forward to some pictures when you get around to it. And, keep up the improvisation.

Richard

Back