Gas Pedal Location

I have a standard GT40 kit, which is included with a pedal box.

Q: Is there a reason the gas pedal and clutch pedal are the same height and position (forward/aft)?

Does this facilitate the use of "Heel-and-toe shifting<SUP id=cite_ref-1 class=reference>[1]</SUP> is a driving technique used mostly in performance driving,<SUP id=cite_ref-2 class=reference>[2]</SUP> although some drivers use it on the road in everyday conditions in the interest of effectiveness. It involves operating the throttle and brake pedals simultaneously with the right foot, while facilitating normal activation of the clutch with the left foot. It is used when braking and downshifting simultaneously (prior to entering a turn), and allows the driver to "blip" the throttle to raise the engine speed and smoothly engage the lower gear."

I notice on all of my other vehicles, the gas pedal is positioned lower and more forward of the clutch. I'm considering modifying the gas pedal and am looking for input before taking the chop saw to anything.

Thanks,

Positioning the brake and throttle at the same height make heel-and-toe operation more difficult, not less.

The reason you see race cars, and most street cars, with a throttle pedal lower than the brake is so when the brakes are applied and the pedal depressed, the foot is then approximately level with the throttle, and can operate both the throttle and brake at the same time.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Doug

no need to modify the pedals just set them at the required offset/height

The pushrod on the brake pedal to master cylinder can be adjusted to set the pedal position very easily.

Back