GT40 Original Seats

D. Nye

Lifetime Supporter
When reading about an original GT40 for sale I came across "The seats are to the original, and highly evocative design of black parachute silk with brass eyelets".

Is black parachute silk still used by people replicating the GT40 seat upholstery? I have done a quick search for information and came up blank. Can someone point me in the direction of more information or someone that is upholstering with parachute silk?

I have seen a lot of pictures of GT40 seats and never knew they were parachute silk.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Don

Rune

Supporter
Hi I made my seats according to original plans and made from nylon fabric also used in parachutes The weight is 7,25oz/yd You find the fabric out where they sell parachute equipment.
And the brass grommets are #4 1/2" hole OD 0.95" Tread used is Nylon #69 (size E ) T1012 You can see my seats on my building tread . Hope that help some.
Rune

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Actually I believe they were done with ripstop nylon, the replacement for parachute silk.

You can still get ripstop nylon (Google is your friend!) but it is frowned upon for automotive upholstery as it is not fireproof and toxic when burned. You can get a very similar material that is used for hot air balloon skirts and is fire resistant (go figure, next to a big ass propane burner....)

Pat

Supporter
As mentioned above, not only when regular ripstop nylon burns it's toxic but the nylon and polyester fibers can melt onto the skin aggravating the burn injury.
You definitely don't want it in the car. I've seen some like P1061 done (or redone) in leather. Aside from the safely aspects, the grommets seem to anchor a little better to leather.

Here's P1061's interior from an earlier post by Mike Drew.

Attachments

• P1061.jpg
    P1061.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,572

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
As mentioned above, not only when regular ripstop nylon burns it's toxic but the nylon and polyester fibers can melt onto the skin aggravating the burn injury.

One of the reasons SCCA banned sneakers as driving shoes years ago. Despite them being Gurney's favorites, they found in a fire the rubber soles melted to bottom of the foot requiring the removal of the skin to remove the sneaker remains. I would imagine it is VERY painful!

Rune

Supporter
I took a piece of the original fabric and held it over a flame , and yes it melted easy .

Rune

D. Nye

Lifetime Supporter
I want to thank everyone for their comments. You just don't find this information anywhere on the web. I think the original material is not for me and black leather looks fine for my replica. By the way Scott, I'm using Bill Hough's GT40 fiberglass seats and Fran does have anything to fit Bill's seats.

Don

Pat

Supporter
Here's how mine turned out.

Attachments

• Complete 1.jpg
    Complete 1.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 1,361
  • Installed 4.jpg
    Installed 4.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 2,563
For those of you that want original seats, I collected some nice shots of 1063. Something to think about.
IMG_20151220_141544063_zpsuzdr9ziy.jpg

IMG_20151220_141441661_zpsvd85nhh7.jpg

The top one shows the "parachute material"

Bill

Back