What would you do? Door mechanism

I am trying to connect the latch to the catch. The latch hinge sits above, to the left, and slightly rearward of the mechanism's swing arm upper attachment point. I've tried simply bending a threaded steel rod, and although it comes close, it doesn't quite work right. I'm thinking a more intricate system may be needed.

How do people typically handle this?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Mechanism.jpg
    Mechanism.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 917
Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Yeah, mine (shown in the link I posted earlier) does work - it just doesn't work as well as I would like..

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I used a cable, inner bicycle brake cable from memory, without the outside sheath.

Hooped around one end and threaded through a hole at the other, and believe it or not adjusted for length with electrical "chocolate block" connectors

Worked very well for 10 years so far!

Ian

Thanks Ian. I was going down that path for a bit too when I stopped to try the bent threaded rod idea. I was using a stainless pulley at the top, and a stainless eye at the bottom. The cable went from the handle up through the pulley, down to the eye then up to the bear claw. It was adjustable at the eye and pulley, but it wasn't quite perfect and just looked too complicated to be reliable, although maybe it would be given your history.

I'm going to try an L shaped bracket attached to the handle that is adjustable for height and length via bolts. The bottom should align right with the bear claw and I'll build into that with enough play to allow for the arc (the handle travels straight while the mechanism on the latch goes in an arc).

If that doesn't work, it's back to the pulley set up with a 3/32" cable, no sheath, just like you were using.

Mocked up something similar to what Ian has and I think it's probably the easiest, and least complex solution. Going to bolt it up this weekend.

Thanks for the feedback folks!

Did what you did and it works fine Ian. I have a spring pulling the handle back into place but no rubber stopper. I just cut, and worked a piece of stainless angle to fit. Took a while to get it right but it's good to go now. I still have to install the locking/unlocking mechanism (I have a remote entry setup) but that should go easier.

Back