Original GT40 B pillar

I believe the B pillar on original GT40's was smooth and did not have the swage line of replicas. Was it smooth on the rear clip and the door as well (3 arrows in the picture).

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    304.4 KB · Views: 633

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Yes - all the photos I have of originals show it is smooth on door, B pillar, and rear clip.

The original KVA was the same as the original 40 and GTD started using the modified B pillar and door shape after Ray Christopher did some deal with Ford to make his GTD cars different from Fords original. That is how I remember it.

Mike Pass

Supporter
A couple of pics I took of original cars. Hope this helps.
Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• Door and spider original car W.jpg
    Door and spider original car W.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 581
  • Door,spider clip original car W.jpg
    Door,spider clip original car W.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 625
SPF has no swage on either door, clip or pillar at least on the MkII. Not sure on MkI.

Last edited:
Graham and Mike,

Thanks for the pictures great help.

The original KVA was the same as the original 40 and GTD started using the modified B pillar and door shape after Ray Christopher did some deal with Ford to make his GTD cars different from Fords original. That is how I remember it.

Thanks Kev, got me thinking as I have a GTD brochure so dug it out along with a copy of Peter Filbys component car OCT 1984 which had an article on MCR Phoenix Automotive Goole who were said to be the only Licensee of KVA at the time. They conveniently provided a 2 page centre spread side on shot of a car they had completed.

There does appear to be a small swage line on the car in the GTD brochure not as pronounced as the one one my car. The car in the magazine is smooth, which I think looks better. Will have to see if the body shop can replicate it :)

Back