Removable Steering Wheel

G

I have little or no problem getting into my GTD but egress is another matter entirely what with my advanced age, tired bones and bad back. A suggested possible solution was to get a removable steering wheel. Anyone have any suggestions as to a source and positive/negative comments about installation. I've heard that some cause the steering wheel to protrude too far into the cockpit.
Your assistance, please,

Ben

Dear Ben
I fit a tilt Fiero columm into my Lola which helps. I also think a removable one would work.

[ October 29, 2002: Message edited by: MK -IV J6 ]

Hi Ben, I fit removable wheels to most of our GTD in UK, simple and very effective. If you want necessart parts I need to know some details of your steering wheel etc. I assume you have the original GTD (Triumph) column. Frank

G

Frank,

Not sure of the source of the column or steering wheel but they both came with the kit in 1989. I am definitely interested in whatever parts and assistance you may offer. You've saved me more than once.

Ben

[ October 29, 2002: Message edited by: Ben Miller ]

I have removable splined shaft wheel on my SCCA racecar and am planning on also installing one in the GT40.

They are available throught racer supply places such as racer wholesale, pegasus, and truechoice.

G

Ben, If you want a removable steering wheel that maintains you turn signals and can fill up a standard sized hub, check the thread that I posted on the For Sale forum. raid HP Super Snap-off

I can send you some pictures of mine that is in place if you'd like. There are some pictures in the thread also

Just be a little careful with registration requirements as in many areas removable steering wheels are not acceptable, and may deem the car unroadworthy. All the road going ones I know of were fitted later. Regards

For one upmanship, you no longer walk into a restaurant with your yuppie mobile phone, you walk in with your steering wheel! Ben, the system I use still retains the adjustability of the column, and will not move the wheel any nearer to you as some other systems do. Frank

G

Not discounting the comments above, to fit a removable steering wheel is quite simple. I have one on my car which I can assure you Frank did not fit!

There are basically two popular designs in the uk. One is a hex shaped based system and the other more similar to a spline as you would see on a gearbox input shaft. The former cost me about £45 and the latter £95. There are two parts to each system. The slug which requires to be welded to the steering column and then the attachment to which your steering wheel bolts on to. With steering wheel makes having different bolt patterns you need to ensure you get the right adapter kit as part of your purchase. If you have a really odd ball steering wheel then you can turn up an adapter quite easily on a lathe. I did this on our Lotus 51. A bit more than 5 minutes this time!

On the GTD standard steering column the slug on the hex type adapter slips over the existing spline at the top of the steering column perfectly. Either remove the column or be extremely careful, but just weld the slug in place making sure the fore and aft positioning is how you want it and that a reasonable penetration of the column up the slug is used.

To make the steering wheel point ahead you have the spline at the foot of the column for adjustment. Or just be jolly clever in your initial marking and alignment of the slug.

Dave Parker has a spline style adapter on his R42. This car has indicator stalks etc. However that has not prevented him making his wheel clip on.

I have both types of adapters fitted to cars in my garage. The Hex style one is easier to use but has a fraction more play in it as it only has the six mating surfaces. The spline style is fancier but is more difficult to use but once on is more precise. Having used both I would say the spline style adapter is better overall.

Trans Autosport (TAS) make a version of the the hex adapter and SPA make the spline adapter.

There are other adapters out there but these are the most commonly used items I know of.

A brief aside but having a clip on steering wheel helped me at Loton Park as with my car out of action, I was offered Julians car to drive. I only fitted his car with my steering wheel attached as it was a slightly smaller diameter than his but we had the same adapters so could swap in seconds. Very handy.

Hope this is of help

Malcolm

try searches at
www.tas.com www.spa-uk.co.uk www.demon-tweeks.co.uk

[ October 30, 2002: Message edited by: Malcolm M ]

Safety? What's that? Surely it is not neccessary to state the obvious.

Seriously folks, I would advise against the Hex type, as I have had one fail on me during an event. The "professionals" almost without exception use the splined type, which has a more secure location.

Repco makes a nice spline type with a simple spring loaded pull up ring for release. It fit onto my GTD column nicely.

Good Afternoon Frank,
have just read your thread posted in 2002 regarding removable steering wheels on GTD replicas - I have just purchased the GDT showcar that was built in 1988 -any chance of supplying me with the necessary bits to convert to a removable steering wheel ?
look forward to haring from you
many thanks
Simon Jude - :) Guildford Surrey

Jim Dewar

Supporter
I need an adaptor/base for a Moto-lita wheel to fit my RF. I would be pleased to find an adaptor to fit their steering shaft or will weld to my shaft.
I ordered the standard bolt on Moto-lita wheel with my kit - big mistake! Is there a supplier for this item? Thanks in advance!

Back