filler caps

Hi,

Can anyone provide the dimensions of the original fuel filler caps; with regards to:

- diameter of the polished cap,
- width of the back hinge and front stub (where the roller catch fits on), and
- the overall height of the filler assy from the bottom of the mounting surface to the top.

Thanks,
Norm

G

Norm, Jared Carson at R&R Specialties can sell them to you cheaper than you can make them, I think. Otherwise, he would probably share the dimensions with you.

[email protected]
423-663-9816
805 Baker Hwy
Huntsville, TN 37756

G

As an update, I talked to Jared yesterday and he told me they have started machining the gas caps. They used to have them cast, but he feels the machined product is of better quality and the polishing results in a much better appearance.

R&R is also starting to cast GT40 door handles and should have the first batch ready within a couple of weeks. This will of course be contingent on the arrival and approval of the first run of parts. He has not set pricing yet either, again this awaits his inspection and approval of the new castings.

Thanks Lynn.

As with R&R do they have a website where one can check out these items or can he send photographs of the items?

Regards,
Norm F.

G

He has email, but I suspect not a web site. Give Jared a call or drop him an email. He is a heck of nice guy and GT40s have got his attention. He said he hadn't sold a dozen gas caps in the 4 year he has had the business, but he has sold 20 in the past year. That is why he went to the trouble of digging out the door handle molds. I have no doubt he will work with you in what ever way he can. I am going to be driving between Knoxville and Nashville in a couple of weeks; if it isn't to far, I may try to stop by his shop. If I do, I'll take pictures of his new machined caps and put them on the forum.

G

I stopped by Jared Carson's shop to say hello and take a look at his new CNC machined gas caps and the first set of castings for the door handles. Unfortunately, I only had about 15 minutes with him as he and his wife were heading down to Knoxville for an emergency replacement of their computer.

I have a set of the old cast gas caps that Jared inherited when he bought the business and they look good, BUT these new machined caps are absolutely gorgeous. The tops are perfectly flat, edges are crisp and parts fit so well that they look like one piece. Jared told me to send my old ones back and he would swap them out for a pair of the new ones. This young man is a quality guy! He appears to be around 30 at a maximum, but don't hold that against him. He does beautiful work. The former owner is around the shop and provides consulting to Jared in exchange for being able to keep busy around the shop. (Obviously loves the work to much to just walk away.)

The door handles are still fresh from the foundry, but I can say that they are crisp, clean looking castings. The molds they were cast from were used to make a rather large run of handles for ERA some years ago. They have recently ordered another large batch from Jared. Jared anticipates that the cost of these door handles will be VERY affordable.

He also showed me quite a number of Cobra parts that he is also providing. He has bumpers, shifters w/ pull up grasps built in, complete parking brake setups that he is building from the ground up, gas cap of course and quite a few lexan parts. Everything he is producing is absolutely first rate. All steel parts that engage/interact with other parts are heat treated for strength and wearability. The parts are then zinc coated and then chromed.

It may seem kind of strange to be going on about this guy, but he is such a different, breath of fresh air that I want to do everything I can to see that he gets plenty of business and does well. Please tell anyone who might need parts to give him a call.

Jared Carson
R&R Specialties
423-663-9816
805 Baker Hwy
Huntsville, TN 37756

G

Dave, yes that is Jared's email address. I am not sure how often he checks it. I sent him some stuff via email and didn't get a response either until I called him. I am not sure how comfortable he is with computers, but he's a great machinist.

I know it just picking up the phone and calling him isn't that easy for you, but you might want to give it a try. He almost always answeres when I call.

Just got off the phone with Jared and he said he didn't think he received your email Dave. You might want to retry. He will be looking for it and understands that you are in South Africa.

[ October 03, 2002: Message edited by: Lynn Larsen ]

thnks Lynn, I have resent the mail {at this point just looking for prices of cap and handles plus shipping DHL or Fedex to SA)
cheers
Have a great weekend
Dave

G

Dave, I paid $99 for my caps over a year ago. But those were cast alloy and I know that he is now CNC machining them from billet alloy. Given that and time, I would guess the price has probably risen some. When I talked to Jarred last, he wasn't exactly sure what the price was going to be on the handles as the foundry hadn't invoiced him yet with their charges. Perhaps he will have that when he gets your email.

thnks Lynn, Jared did respond. His caps are now $150 and still working out a price for the handles.
cheers
Dave

Back