Mechanical speedo, electronic sender???

Anyone know of a way of converting an electical signal from an electronic speedo sender to allow the use of a mechanical speedometer?
Is there an electrically powered convertor which someone supplies anywhere?
I'm hoping to use the Smiths mechanical speedo with the Porsche transmission. The speedo for the electronic sender, has an LCD display which I don't want.

There is something called an X box. A company in california sells. I cant remember for sure, but i think it runs about either $300 usd or $500 usd. And i do know of one for sale for a bit less if i can find the guys #.

Lee,

Why not consider a new Smith speedo!

Did you know that they are making them again here in the U.K?

My MDA will have a complete set of new Smith's instruments.

The company is called Gower Oaks, part of Speedy Cables.

They can make just about anything you want.

For example. I wanted an electronic 200mph speedo and an 8000RPM tacho.

They're well priced too. Speedo was £130+VAT.

Check em www.gower-oaks.co.uk

Regards,

J.P /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Cheers James
I am planning on using the new instruments from them, but the Smiths electronic speedo has an LCD odometer, which looks slightly out of keeping. To have a mechanical odometer, you need to use the mechanical speedo. As far as I know the Porsche transaxle does not have a mechanical sender, so I will either have to live with the LCD odometer, or convert the electrical sender signal to a mechanical drive for the speedo.
I would rather do the second option, if there is a gadget that will do the trick.

Lee,

You can use a Jag XJ6 speedo as a donor from a scrap yard. Gower Oaks will use the mechanical bits and convert to electronic. Speak to Andy.

Regards,

J.P

Thanks Eric.
That's exactly the sort of thing I was after. US$300 sounds a bit better than the one I've in Australia here

Castlemaine Rod Shop

which is AUS$660.
I'll keep looking for the time being.
Cheers

Excellent. Thanks Dave. I think the $150 is for the elctronic speedchanger. No price yet on the mechanical. I will follow up.
Any others out there?

Back