Battery capacity?

Yuji

Lifetime Supporter
I'd like to know your battery capacity. My GTD has 50AMP battery and 75AMP for other toy. Looks short on capacity? I presume alternator might also need to be upgraded when running w/ AC and electric fans on?

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
There are very small 140 amp one wire mini-alternators out there that will do the job, even if you have EFI and a computer. (see Corral Auctionor Ultimate Horsepower Store )The fuel pump, sensors, outputs and computer take a substantial amount of juice. I wish they had been around 3 years ago when I bought the giant 140 amp Powermaster that I used. It would have made the fittment so much easier.

Regards,
Lynn

Yuji, the important thing to look for in a battery is the CCA (Cold Cranking Amperage) which should be no less than 600 A, Frank

Yuji

Lifetime Supporter
Lynn, Frank, Thanks for the info. Will look into the detail. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
I am particularly fond of the optima and optima type batteries. They have a number of attractive features. I bought NAPA's optima version. Is NAPA mutlinational?? Anyway, Frank would know the CCA required. Not sure how cold it gets where you are in Japan, but doubt it is cold enough to have much effect on the CCA you need, >or=600 CCA is pretty stout and should serve you well.

Personally am a big fan of the Red Top brand of gel batteries( DMS Technologies), especially the Red Top 60 for use in our cars . Not too big at 220x121x260mm with a CCA of 1230A! Only drawback is that you should really use their deadicated charger /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gifwhich costs far more than regular ones but can be left to charge/condition the battery constantly. Oh and the actual battery costs about 240 UK pounds /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif!But it will crank any thing no matter how high the compression!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lynn
That alternator sounds pretty impressive. Has anyone heard any comments on them? Are they available elsewhere?

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Lee,

I really haven't seen this particular alt. elsewhere. But, to be honest, I haven't really looked either. I check out the Corral classified from time to time and they are affiliated, somehow, with that site, so I saw it there.

There have been small racing types around for a while, but most of those top out at ~90amps. Which isn't bad, but it isn't great either.

Regards,
Lynn

Yuji

Lifetime Supporter
Lynn,
Optima is available in Japan, from $160 to $210 depends on CCA, i.e. 720~830. There are yellow and red on the catalog. Looks red one is the preferred one?

Back