Alternator problems and Stereo installation

We installed a stereo system in the car this spring. It was a time consuming project to make the installation look like belonged on the car, be functional (sound good), and not cut up the car to get it in.
I didn’t have to alter the door pockets at all to get the speakers in. It uses Hi-VI 5.8” woofers in a 6th order alignment and BOHLENDER GRAEBENER NEO8 Planar midrange/tweeters crossed over at 500 Hz. The Bohlender units are only about1/2” thick and sound excellent.
The cabinets are UGLY, but they are the proper volume, the vents the right length, and they 'just' fit into the door through the pocket opening and use otherwise empty space.
The bass response and volume are impressive for such small drivers.
The speakers are bi amped with active crossovers. The amp is 4 channel, 60watts RMS/channel. I used Daniel Woodhead quick disconnects and custom made waterproof adaptors to wire the doors to the chassis. The CD player is a Sony unit that uses their 'walkman' technology for skip proof playing.

When weather started to warm up and the AC went on, the 80 amp alternator wouldn't keep up. It was replaced with a one wire Powermaster 140 amp unit. Same footprint as the factory unit, so it fit with no problems. I did wire the unit directly to the main power disconnect switch as opposed to feeding back through the ammeter. The ammeter was replaced with a voltmeter.
80 amps sounds like a lot, but the radiator and oil cooler fans pull 25+ amps themselves. Add in fuel pumps, water pump, AC, ignition coils, lights..... 80 didn't cut it.

One thing I did add was insulated posts from the battery terminals that set in the rocker panel bulkhead just in front of the rear tire. They allow access to the battery for jumper cables or charger without removing the battery cover (fuel pumps have to come off with the cover).
I used an old Stanley screwdriver handle to make non conductive covers for the 3/8" posts that stick into the wheelwell.

34777354-4e61-02000180-.jpg

34777934-be05-02000180-.jpg

34777960-9ac2-02000180-.jpg

34778004-8dab-02000180-.jpg

Dave,

Did the 140 AMP alternator handle the load OK?

I'm planning on upgrading my 100AMP to a 140AMP,

for a stereo installation, at some point soon.

Bill

It seems to be doing OK Bill. Voltage with all the fans, pumps, etc. on runs 13+ volts. Normally 13.8 with everything but the electric fans on.
I thought about putting a 200 amp in, but have "no" physical room for anything bigger than a stock sized alternator.

Back