Wiring Harness

Robert or Hershal-

Do you know if the wiring harness for the dash will support mounting the speedo to the left and mounting the tach in the center? If it's not a huge hassle, I'd like the tach in the center at the wheel rather than off to the left.

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Pat,

The dash wiring is designed to do EXACTLY that. In Australia we have to have our speedo in the PREMIER VIEWING AREA but just because we have to do this why spoil all the fun for everybody.

Best wishes,

Robert

Hello Pat,
I'm in the middle of plugging in the harnes to my intrument panel. As you suggested I've got the speedo over to the far right and the tach front and center. So far it's working well but I will have to do a litle "tweeking" so as to have the oil pressure and engine temp clustered around the tach vs the right fuel gage. Just a little minor surgery - a twenty minute job! Fortunately, my son ( an engineering student at OSU ) is helping so I can't screw it up to much. I'll post pics and more details once I actually get it done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I should be wrapping up the air plenum in the next day or so, got all the holes ready to go, so almost there. Are you saying you are having to re-arrange the arrangement of a couple of gauges? Maybe I'll race you to see who installs first...

Robert, in laying out the wiring, everything seems to make sense, although wiring is like a mess of spiders to me. One question, (for now) in the pictures, there is what looks like a relay that is attached to the speedo. Since I've relocated my speedo to the side, I want to know if this can be attached to tech. I'm attaching the picture to make sure I am identifying this thing correctly.

Attachments

• 42793-DSC00763.JPG
    42793-DSC00763.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 383

Robert Logan

Pat,

The item in your photograph is a "voltage stabiliser" and is part of the Smiths instruments. The Smiths require a stabile voltage and not the varing voltage supplied by every alternator. This item supplies exactly the correct voltage and that same voltage at ALL times. The important thing is that the mounting lug MUST be earthed. We usually mount the stabiliser on the back of the speedo and put a black wired earth to it.

Hope this helps,

Best wishes,

Robert

Robert Logan

Pat,

Slight mistake, the earth wire is already attached (black wire) just mount her on the back of the nearest instrument.

Robert

Back