CAV Fuel Cell inspection

Pat

Supporter
As I'm going through the car I'd like to inspect the fuel cells to insure there is no chafing or other problem that may hazard a leak over time. Would anyone know the best method to remove/inspect a CAV mono fuel cell?

Again thanks to all,
Veek

Pat

Supporter
Thanks Gary,
I'm still struggling with the fuel smell and I understand there is a modification kit for the cap and vent. Any idea where I could get one or see the spec. to fabricate it?

Thanks again,
Veek

Pat

Supporter
Sure Tom, I have hurricane Jeanne on my hands at the moment. Is next week OK?

Thanks,
Veek

Veek, The other potential problem we found with the CAV is that there is nothing to prevent a small foriegn object falling/dropped or left in the sill panel behind the rubber fuel cell that can then get under the bag and rupture it unseen. We attempted to put in a form of protective seal immediately behind the tank in order to stop even the smallest item rolling under the fuel bag, as it is impossible to check without taking it all out, which is not easy, Frank

Pat

Supporter
Thank for the information Frank. If I find a tear, can these bladders be repaired or does one replace the whole thing?
Thanks,
Veek

Ian Clark

Supporter
Your bladders are probably OK however the only way to know for sure is taking them out. The front suspension has to be split at the upper ball-joint and tie-rod end and the nose section removed as well.

CAV Canada has fuel cells instock although your tanks could be inspected by any shop doing aircraft fuel cell repairs or send them to ATL. Repairing is your last choice.

About the fuel system, CAV Canada has developed a tank filler neck vent system that works in conjunction with locking fuel filler caps (inside the Monza style cap) and a vapour recovery system that prevents pressure build up in tanks from fuel sloshing, fuel returns from EFI and barometric/temperature changes.

These parts have taken a while to develope and will be available soon. Each system is custom tailored to the car, please send me details on your induction system including fuel pressure and fuel returns if used.

Of course, as the filler necks are ahead of the interior, be extra carefull not to spill any gas filling her up. That takes a while to dissapate.

Back