Water pump

Two quick dumb questions. What to do with the heater ports coming off of the water pump? What are the fittings on the back of the intake manifold for?

Attachments

• 45256-Picture008.jpg
    45256-Picture008.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 359
and the intake manifold? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Attachments

• 45257-Picture009.jpg
    45257-Picture009.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 379

Ron Earp

Admin
Plug the heater ports, that is what they are for, you do not need them. Easier to do with the pump off the car. With the pump on the car, fit two short pieces of heater hose, then put a pipe plug in the end and secure with a clamp.

If you have the pump off the car you cut the pipes off, tap the holes, then put a pipe plug in the hole.

R

Ron Earp

Admin
well, I was going to say water to take to the front to eliminate steam pockets, but you have those. And, since those brass fittings do not go into a water passage, since there is none there, then I don't know. I suppose those brass pieces go down into the lifter valley - maybe they are a vent. I don't know, never seen those on an injection manifold.

One guess - they are somehow tapped into the runners for each bank and can provide a vacuum signal. That would be my offical guess. Blow some air in there and see if you can feel/hear it come out in the runners.

Rolf,

The brass nipples have to be vacuum ports, assuming that the plenum runs the full length of the manifold. It seems kind of odd that they are at the back of the manifold though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif But, remember how far South, Australia really is. They do everything upside down and backwards Down Under! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Bill

Rober Logan called me from Australia tonight. The one fitting is vacuum the other is for a pcv valve. As usual the Roaring Forties support is superb. Thanks all for your comments and help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

You can buy heater hose caps rather than have to use a short section of hose with a pipe plug.

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
Just a thought on the caps... I used them but I had both of them develop a pin hole leak after about 2 years, nothing serious but if you use them keep a spare set on hand.

Hey Rick,

Will the new boat be red with white stripes? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

When you are sitting in the sand in sunny Mexico this

winter, sipping a margarita and plotting your future,

think about what you left behind.

Virginia Beach in February. BRRRR! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Bill

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
I have a hose that goes to a header/swirl tank that is up high in the engine compartment from one of these (returns if my decrepid memory serves me right.) Also the line from the top of the radiator Ts into it. The header tank gets input from the intake manifold. The overflow from the header/swirl tank goes to an overlow tank to catch/return excess coolant as the engine heats and cools, but lets air/vapor/steam escape. I also have a bleeder valve inline from the intake to the header tank that is the highest point in the whole system to help insure that all the air has been displaced. To this point my cooling system has been without issue.

This may well be non applicable to the RF system, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Regards,
Lynn

Back