Motec EFI

Well I'm finally getting to that point where its time to hook all the wires up to something!. While the engine was going together we talked to Jay at Motec USA. We were debating whether to actually install crank and cam sensors or to use a EFI distributor that would send the info to the Motec unit. He recommended a MSD 8455 distributor. The idea was to not actually use the distributor for the spark plug wires, (thats what the coil packs are for) but to get the info on the crank and cam shaft from the distributor. Sounds almost too good to be true. Anyway when it came time to hook it all up there were six wires coming from the distibutor. The distibutor came with no schematics, so I called MSD up and asked them to send me them. What I got was Wire #1 = profile ignition pickup, #2 = SPOUT / SPARK output (always pink), #3 = I.D.M. (ignition diagnostic module), #4 = HOT/START/RUN (eec power relay), #5 = COIL NEGATIVE (C-), and #6 = IGNITION GROUND. I then called Jay of MOTEC back to ask which goes to the corresponding inputs for the MOTEC engine harness. I was told that REF = Crank sensor and SYN = cam sensor. He had no idea what the MSD lead nomenclature ment. He suggested I fax him the schematic which I have done. I have yet to hear anything from MOTEC. I then called MSD support and asked what the above leads ment and which one was the crank sensor and which one was the cam sensor. To my complete suprise, they had no idea!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif They suggested I call a Ford dealership and talk to a mechanic. The local dealship was dumbfounded as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. Perhaps Jay of MOTEC will eventually figure this out and call me but I thought I would poll the forum and see if anyone had any ideas on how to link the crank and cam info from the distributor to the MOTEC M800 unit.

Rolf,

Call Bill Hunsberger at Second Street Speed. He is THE guru,

when it comes to EFI. Motec might as well be his native

language! Bill's a great guy, and I'm sure that he will be

able to solve your wiring dilemma in about 1 minute. He

installed my Motec (distributor referenced) with ease.

(215)257-3724 after 12 noon EST Monday-Friday

Bill

Rolf,

If he balks at helping someone who didn't buy their Motec from him, remind him that I'm holding one of his $40 Snap-On wrenches for ransom! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Seriously, if he does balk, mention my 40, and that I suggested you call him, as he's the best there is. Flattery certainly can't hurt!

Bill

Rolf,
Did you ever consider calling me? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
I'm a little purplexed as to the difficulty your having with this system. RF has worked very hard with Motec and they have done all this for you. all you have to do is use the loom you have and hook it up properly.
Give me a call and I will be happy to get you all the correct info you need to get your system going. You only need a few parts from Ford and you will be good to go...

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think i remember this right,
PIP-Profile ignition pickup this is basically the crank sensor.
SPOUT-Spark output During cranking the TFI module controls the spark at a steady 0 degress of advance (then you advance your distributer to what ever to set the timing).
After the engine fires, the ecu controls ignition timing through the spout line.
The rest are obvious what they are for. I dont remember how many wires are there but i do know you are missing one, It is red with a blue tracer and that goes to 12V cranking signal from the starter (the trigger wire on the starter relay)
So, PIP is the crank sensor, there is no cam sensor, I thought there was 1 window on the sensor that was shorter than the rest to indicate TDC but i dont remember for sure, i can check if needed but i suspect you are in good hands.

Hey Hershal, I'll ask - what does RF recommend? I was planning on using a crank trigger rather than a distributor, but would like to hear from you, my factory rep!

Also, I know there has been a lot of discussion about oil pans, what did you use? (I can't seem to get the search feature to work.)

Pat,
We use the 1996 to 2000 Ford Explorer timing cover, waterpump, cam sensor, crank sensor. and the 50 oz. harmonic balancer cause it's got the hall effect sprocket on it.
My oil pan is an Aviad but an Armondo pan is a little cheaper and looks to be a better pan IMHO. Canton also make a great pan. Just make sure you get one where the sump is only 10" from front to back of the sump. If it's any longer it won't fit in front of the crossmember.
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Flats/1624/

Hey Hersh , havnt chatted with you in a bit, hope all is well. Isnt the flywheel that comes with the RF set up to balance for the 28oz setup ? So you would want a 28 oz harmonic then right ? Not the 50 ? regards, Dan

Hi Dan,
Yep if your trying to get all in balance I believe this to be correct. I really have to admit that I'm far from an engine expert but I do know mine is a 24 oz harmonic balancer. I also know that the one on Johns car is a 50 oz. I got no clue as to why.

Perhaps there is someone else out there that knows why...

PS...Dan, how the project proceeding?. get some pictures up
for all of us to ogle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
There are only 28oz and 50oz that came on Ford SBs from the factories and in common use. Hershal, I'll bet lots of beers yours is a 28oz and not a 24oz.

You are probably right Ron. That's what happens when you don't get the specs with your motor. I could be wrong but I was told it was balanced to 24 oz.

Back