A couple of fuel system questions.

After much soul searching and deep consideration I am about to close up my fuel system. I have made changes from what RF describes because I wanetd to have as much of the system open to inspection as possable.

I used a 6 way valve mounted under the right sill with Carter LP pumps and inline filters mounted above each sill. The line size is 3/8 on all lines running to the engine and 5/16 on all returns. Braided lines are used above the sill and rubber hose under them. Hi quality FI clamps are used on all connection. I am about to put the sill tops in place and as I was looking at my setup a couple of questions came to mind.

1. I placed my filters before the pumps, what is the general feeling on this before or after?

2. Is there any easy way to pressure test the connections without charging it with gasoline?

Hi Peter,
The filters always go between the supply and the intake of the fuel pump for the low pressure pumps. There should be another filter just behind the high pressure pump.
I don't know about pressure checking other than using fuel when the system is done. I guess I was luucky as I had no leaks.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Peter,

As a suggestion, not doctrin, it seems to me that as a fuel pressure gauge has no trouble reading air pressure (as in tires), couldn't you just fill the system with air though a schrader valve anywhere in the system that has a fuel pressure port? Of course you would have to dead end the system at the fuel supply to the low pressure pumps and on the ouput from the 6way valve to the fuel tank returns. This way you also avoid pressurizing the fuel tanks. Put whatever your injectors call for into the system and watch for leakdown.

It should hold pressure with the injectors off (no power). If it's leaking fast, you'll hear it, if it's slow maybe not, but at least you'll feel better gassing it up.

Once you do get gas in it be extremely diligent to inspect every connection and fitting for leaks, weeping of fuel smells, retorque or replace as required. Hersh didn't get lucky, he got it right!

Cheers

Back