rear view camera set up

I mounted this wireless camera monitor setup today,took about an hour, works great
monitor002.jpg

John, I will have to check ,but it was only 100 bucks at PEP Boys. Picture quaility is very good. The wired unit was 20 bucks cheaper

it works very well as a rear view mirror. I hooked it up to my tag lights so it goes on when the lights are on. I tend to run with the lights on all the time much like a motorcycle,since other cars notice you sooner. The monitor was hard wired to the ignition switch and to the frame for ground-10 minutes. the camera transmits with RF waves. It comes with a mount,and I will mount to underside of dash.

Guys,

I fashioned a rear view camera solution that I believe is even more elegant. I would post the pictures here except the 488k file limit won't take any of my pictures. My solution costs about $125 in parts! I knew I needed a quick solution when I almost backed into another car with my GT40.

If any one is interested in the pictures , email me at [email protected].

:pepper:

My solution works very well. Has 92 deg reverse video camera with IR lighting, and a 7" widescreen. The widescreen mounts to the roll bar at the very top of the roof just in front of the doors. Less forward obstruction then the normal mirror. IR light works great up to ~15 feet. Can back into a single parking lot space at night and come right up to the curb!

More ebay searching turns up some pretty cool options for video rear view mirrors. It seems the main manufacturer of these items is XO Vision.

rear_view_mirror_monitor

The XO Vision RM 404 is the smallest one and would probably fit in a GT40. It has a 4" TFT LCD screen and two video inputs:

RM404.jpg

They make a larger version with a 6" LCD screen but it would probably be too large for a GT40:

RM646.jpg

The other issues are where to mount the camera and what field of view to use. High-angle FOVs are great for backing up in parking lots but they would be of little use in a moving car. I would think the higher the mount location the better, with the best place being a streamlined enclosure on the rear of the roof. If it's too low all you're going to see when you really need it is the grill of the SUV behind you.

Last edited:
Hi Mark, You make a good point about the mounting, a friend of mine mounted one in the rear lens of a Countach replica years ago, and found it was good on a fine day, but absolutelty useless on a wet day, due to the spray coming off the rear tyres. I would agreee the rear of the roof would be the best spot.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
FWIW
I run two cameras on my RHD Mercedes Sprinter - one for reversing onto the trailer and the other for the 'blind' spot when driving in Europe. Both are high level and both suffer from spray, one much more than the other - the 'blind' spot camera suffers the most. Another problem is that the Sprinter is pure white and the camera suffers from sunlight reflection and it's less useful at night as well as the headlights of overtaking cars tend to dazzle the camera although it's supposed to compensate for the extra light. I'm about to fit another camera on the left side under the mirror facing forward to give me some idea about oncoming traffic though it may need cleaning frequently as every bug and fly in Europe commits Hare Kiri on the front of this Sprinter

Dave M

I believe these are John's setup. He sent them to me when I requested info from him. He has the camera mounted in a third brake light, that he purchased on ebay for next to nothing. I like the setup, but I think I would put it on the spyder section as it would cut down on the lenght of cable/wires that would have to be run. Now if it is a wireless setup, then that is a good place to put it. If it ever leaked, it would run down the sides of the cavity and wouldn't ruin the interior finish.

Bill

Attachments

• Rear_Camera_1.jpg
    Rear_Camera_1.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 1,333
  • Rear_Camera_5.jpg
    Rear_Camera_5.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 1,322

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Chuck....Have you ( or anyone else using a camera) had any problems with operation due to vibrtion/ harmonics of rear grill/rear mount? I have been told that the PEP BOYS unit didn't operate or operated poorly due to mounting location harmonics??? Is the guy that told me this correct ?? Looking for your 1'st hand experience......Tx Steve

steady as a rock picture at all speeds and better quaility than one might expect for 100 bucks. Keep in mind I really wanted it for backing up in parking lots and such although I keep it on all the time because the rear view picture is helpful.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Great to hear it's working

As a thought was there an operating temperature given for the camera?
Being above a pair of exhausts could put the area hotter than the camera expects.

Ian

Back