Stainless/Chrome braided sleeving?

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Anyone tried stainless, chrome or mylar type sleeving for dress-up of their engine bay wiring?

mylar-chrome-big.jpg

The sleeving coming out of the DOHC valley of Hasselgren's Toyota Atlantic motor is similar, but not quite what I'm describing. Still looks hot though.

Attachments

• Hasselgren braided loom.jpg
    Hasselgren braided loom.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,110

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Yes, that first photo looks rather gaudy, but the stuff can be attractive as well as very functional. It's similar to the braided loom used in aircraft, and I believe it's the same stuff that's been used for years for mil-spec vehicle wiring due to its superior abrasion resistance. With the mylar and/or chrome braiding it's also very good for heat reflection, as well as EMI shielding.

Unfortunately, despite being superior to split plastic loom in every respect, as you pointed out, it's probably not going to find wide acceptance with the '40's crowd.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Unfortunately, despite being superior to split plastic loom in every respect, as you pointed out, it's probably not going to find wide acceptance with the '40's crowd.

Why.....? It tidies things up and as you say provides physical and thermal protection. I've never seen it in the flesh but it looks OK in the engine photo. I hate the look of split plastic loom and taped looms tend to deteriorate when subjected to heat and/or fuel and/or oil! Most GT40 'look-a-likes' have 'enhancements' that the originals never even dreamed of.....

I say go for it. Just my two cents.

Cheers

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
aeroquip Startlite black nomex covered hose gives better protection and looks much more period

I'll take your word for it Chuck.

Why didn't you say so before? Sometimes extracting information on this forum is like pulling teeth....... Still, we're getting there. Anyone else.....?

I have been using black braid on my wiring lomes for a few years.
It is very practical and tidy ,I wont use anything else.

I personaly would not use the crome but each to their own.

Jim

I think I would go with the black braid if i were an option. The shiny stuff doesn't work for me, although the stainless might be cool. Stay away from the chrome.

sorry Russ. the original question did not ask for altenatives just opinion on the said products. I added the other advise after the thread digressed a bit. BTW. XRP also makes a nice Nomex type black hose. Look on EBAY under Startlite hose and you can pick it up much cheaper in many cases or go to Racecityraceparts.com for a good selection usually. It is very pricey if you buy it new.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Anything that cleans up the compartment of loose wires is a good thing. Split loom looks just "okay" at first but deteriorates quickly as we all know. I'd probably consider all of these as an option and will when it comes to that stage of my build..

the carbed cars have very few exposed wires so it is easy to make them look neat without resorting to looms. To each his own I suppose, but it is hard to improve upon the look of an original car for me. I realize most of us have replicas, and there are compromises that we must settle for, but a simple unadorned engine compartment looks correct.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
I tend to think like Russ, but I guess it depends on who you're building your car for. I didn't build my car for "a crowd" or even a small group, rather I built it for myself. But, I am fervently independent and occasionally pay a price for that.

John, if it tickles your fancy and keeps on doing so through time, heat, fuel and the other rigors of living underhood, then I say go for it and bugger what anyone else thinks! :D

Lynn

I've bought a few kits, and I'll be using similar stuff on mine too... I quite like the look, and will compliment the style I'm trying to achieve. I'll also be spraying all the cladding black, with silver pop rivets exposed - Someone commented it's a bit S&M :eek: (Didn't think of that one at the time...)

I do however have an aversion to chrome dress-up goodies that seem to cover most V8 lumps that I've seen... A complete set came with the project I bought, but will not be used. (Promise)

I would be very shy of a metal based braid unless you intend to wire up with the appropriate MIL or aircraft spec cabling as well. Standard PVC insulated cable would probably not stand the abrasive behaviour of these materials well in the long term, and a metal braid will have direct short potential in the event that insulation does wear through.

top feed injection ?!?!? bloody hell mate ! (are they running meth ???)

if you could find the stuff they used in the engine bay, that looks great !

Gents
I used the black braid in non critical areas other than the engine bay, but I have seen it melt when exposed to the environment around a motor, although I still think it looks a lot better than that split loom all of the Tuner guys use...and whats with all those gaudy colors?
My all time favorite is the fiberglass sleeving with silicone covering the exterior (usually red color) , this stuff looks really good, and can really take the heat and abrasion, I have seen it run virtually next to a turbo with no ill effects. Its also nice and slippery inside which makes running the wiring or whatever you choose really easy.
Anyone else familiar with this material?
Cheers
Phil

If you have the funds to run a Formula Atlantic Hasselgren 4age engine like that, you sure would have the buget to go full steel-braided with those fancy red-blue couplings......

(anyone ever heard one like that on 9krpm btw? whole new meaning to LOUD!)

what I realy mean, mount the real stuff or put in stock black stuff, don't put that el-cheapo fake braiding in a 40's enginebay.

Grtz thomas

sorry misread wiring,

I have found nice insulation tape in the UK it's a sort of cloth lined (fireproof though) I taped in the whole loom and the funny thing is that you dont notice the loom being there at all, probably because it's a dull finnish. don't where it camme from though, probably vehicle wiring products or so.

I'd rather NOT see it than see it's braided with something like you described.

grtz Thomas

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
A plain black modern rubber hose and nothing else. I am using Simplifix style hoses with the indicator stripe.
Deterioration and damage is easier to spot early, particularly with fuel lines and any form of covering will prevent this.
Use ground French chalk or Talcum to look for cracks.

For me, the black Nomex would be nice if I had a regular check and refit regime.

Electrically the same applies.

I think if you look at the photo carefully, you will see he has used hard tubing, braided tubing with the red/blue AN fittings and the loose covering to the cable pulls. I personaly think he should stick to one or the other and not mix/match the stuff. With all that carbon fiber next to it it really looks cheap. It is all on the intake side of the engine and not next to any real heat source. I vote to take it off and leave it exposed. If he is going to use it, it should be tight fitting and use the fake hose ends to end it instead of the tie wraps. But then, its not mine, so do as you please. Your the only one that counts.

Bill

Back