Fire bottle placement

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Anyone have any idea where to put a 5 lb fire-boy bottle in an SPF Mk1? Everywhere I have an idea its just a little to long and will not fit. Pictures are worth a lot. :) Thank you in advance

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Jack, a fire bomb is on my list of future enhancements, & I have the same problem as you - where to put it ?

I am not familiar with the SPF layout, but some of my fellow DRB owners have mounted them just behind the firewall on the RHS. To do this, they had to put all the fuel system under the back of the rear tank cover (in the void surrounding the lower trailing arm).

In my ignorance of such issues at the time, I decided to put most of the EFI fuel system on top of that tank cover (for ease of maintenance), so I now figure that I only have 2 potential places to mount the fire bomb :

- at the front of the passenger's footwell (short passengers need only apply !)

- suspend it under one of the rear body mounting struts that run down from the shock mount area to the hinge/support points for the rear clip.

So far, the latter looks more practical, but may need some heat-shielding to insulate the bottle from the exhaust system heat.

If the above ideas don't work out, there might be a possibility of mounting the bomb in the front - on the floor, just in front of the steering rack.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Would it fit immediately in front of the base/seat bottom of the Passengers seat. It would be under the knees of the passenger and would not affect the height of a passenger.

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Jack

See pic of front compartmment of P2125...Look real close to left of storage box and tubes coming out of tunnel and you can see the Firebottle bracket and discharge tube ( bottle wasn't installed when pic taken)....Steve

Attachments

• DSCN30100031 (Small).jpg
    DSCN30100031 (Small).jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 429
You do have to get creative in where you put things on these cars. Not a lot of space and you still need to fit!

I've seen them mounted on the spare tire shelf, in front of the spare tire shelf, in the door, under the passenger's knees, in the engine bay (I don't think this is a good option), and under the dash. Personally, I would try to find a place in the front compartment.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Bill,
Brett is spot on. It locks hydraulic pressure in the main brake lines to either the front or rear brakes depending on how you want it plumbed. Mine is plumbed to lock the front brakes. It doesn't perform as an alternate to a hand brake but is actually the preferred parking brake.

David.............

You mean you can lock the front brakes, and do a burnout without going anywhere. I have that on my Cobra. It was used when the Cobra was drag raced by the original owner, Chet McFallo.

I don't know if an SPF has the same amonut of room a a CAV but here is where I put my system. There is quite a bit of room in the CAV.

Attachments

• PICT0185.JPG
    PICT0185.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 318

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Thanks to all of you for helping, I got a feeling that I will be putting the bottle where Steve C put his. I mounted a drycell rechargeable battery up under the passenger foot well so that did away with that space. I hope my wife never wants to go for a weekend trip, we will have to put on a trailer hitch. :)

Back