Flexible conduit for door lock wiring.

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
I am in the process of installing a keyless entry system into my DAX which didnt even have mechanical door locks, and have so far mounted the solenoids and checked that it all works. Now, I am trying to find some flexible plastic or rubber conduit to carry the wires from the interior into the doors. Anyone have any suitable UK sources for these?

regards
Dave

I am sure there will be other sources, but for sure, if you pop into a local commercial vehicle dealership/workshop, they should be able to supply you with lengths of flexible plastic conduit of various diameters, which you could cut to suit your needs.

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Thanks Mark,
I can get the plastic flexible conduit and fittings, but my fear was that they would crack after a while. I spoke to a couple of auto electrical suppliers, and they both said that the plastic conduit would not last in that application. I suppose that I could do that temporarily to get the job done, another option is to see if I can find something suitable in a scrapyard.
I wonder what Tornado etc use?
regards
Dave

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
on my GTD, the builder had used a Renault (I think) door connect system - two mating plugs with bulkhead fittings and rubber sleeving - ok so you have to get it from a breakers and use the wiring colours that are pre-installed - but its designed for the job.

Something like these? Scenic, clio and 206.

Simon

Attachments

• clio-conduit.jpg
    clio-conduit.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 488
  • 206-conduit.jpg
    206-conduit.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 455
  • scenic-conduit.jpg
    scenic-conduit.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 452
Dave, I used items off one of the higer spec metros from a breakers yard. I found them to be the longest length I could find and had larger sections at the end which stop it pulling out of a 1 inch hole. I drilled into the end of the door so the rubber is elongated when the door is closed.

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Thanks guys, that gives me some options to look at. In Simons pics, the second one (Clio) looks about right, and the Pauls longer Metro one could be good if the Clio one isn't long enough. So I will check the length I need, then check out metros and clios in the breakers yard.

regards
Dave

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Well, with no let up in the rain, I gave up on squelching around in the scrapyard, and got some convoluted tubing from Vehicle wiring products in Derbyshire. The tubing is nylon, so ought to last, the other thing I liked was the bulkhead fittings which seal well and have a self locking tab to prevent loosening. Shown in pic with door fully open.

Attachments

• conduit.jpg
    conduit.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 509

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Have you tried a marine supply store, or a ship chandlery? Some of this kind of stuff is available in the marine market and is more resistant to weathering....

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Nick, so far so good 2+ years, a trip to Le Mans being the major event, well sub-zero temps here in the winters. My take is it is ok, but even if it cracked now, 'tis easily replaced. The fittings seemed good quality, the whole thing seals well, and having taken care to ensure that it doesn't get stressed adversely during flexure it seems to do the job.

Dave

Back