Rear/side view camera systems. Share the options.

BigB98

CURRENTLY BANNED
Since I'm in the middle of wiring right now, I am thinking through ideas around side/rear view camera systems.

I'm thinking about the possibility of mounting side view cameras within the side mirrors themselves with a hole in the mirror backing for the lense to see through, but still act as mirrors for the rest of the surface. Anyone ever do this before? Suggestions?

As well, I would like a monitor which I would flip down from the roll cage to either have multiple inputs that all display at the same time (are there any that do this?), or switch to the camera based on turn signal (I know these are available).

Aside from my questions above, what setups are you guys running and any tips and tricks?

Thanks for your input.

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
yup
i have done that - but the cameras I used are a touch on the large side - so it meant redesigning the interior of the mirror. This is coupled to a couple of 2.5" monitors mounted in the doors.
The rear view camera, I mounted in a pod above the carburettor - this gives a good view of the rear, but suffers from reflections in the rear glass. I will try and get pics over the holiday.

I bought one of the wireless license plate frame rear view cameras from Costco. It splices into the plate light wiring and took only a few minutes to install. The monitor rides in the drivers door storage area and plugs into the 12v convenience outlet there. Nice color picture and works like a charm. I just turn on the lights when I want to see behind. Oh, and the screen image can be flipped to be "camera view" or "rear mirror view". The whole deal cost around $65.

You might want to do a search for things like "chase cam" and take a look at the postings. Lots of ideas there. Even some utube postings to see how it looks. There was a thread or two on the forum about cameras and such for our cars. Do a local search and see if you can find it. Probably a little dated but it may give you a contact with experience, to talk to about your ideas.
I plan to add a rear view camera to mine as well. It will work off of a stereo unit with a 7" flip up screen.I am thinking of putting it on the top of the spider like the Nascar guys do theirs. Probably build a fiberglass enclosure or hide it in a molded on third brake lite. Not sure yet. Since the visibility is so bad in the cars, I plan to use it as a rear view mirror. The racing venue people will not allow them. You have to have side mirrors.
So I will, but the view of most is not the best. I have one of the little ones on my truck that I got at Pep Boys here in the U S. Can be had for under $90 when on sale. They work off the backup lites. The camera is wireless in its signal and works great except when driving down the road it will pickup extraneous signals from security cameras etc. that businesses and homeowners use. Everytime I pull into a local coffee house, it picks up the shot of the girl working the cash register in another business close by!!

Bill

BigB98

CURRENTLY BANNED
yup
i have done that - but the cameras I used are a touch on the large side - so it meant redesigning the interior of the mirror. This is coupled to a couple of 2.5" monitors mounted in the doors.
The rear view camera, I mounted in a pod above the carburettor - this gives a good view of the rear, but suffers from reflections in the rear glass. I will try and get pics over the holiday.

Richard, pics would be great! I'm happy to learn that I won't be in uncharted territory doing it this way. :)

Thanks for the rest of the input fellas. I was thinking the license plate style one for the rear view would work out well too.

I mounted one of the $99 Wal Mart cameras on the back of my SPF. Works fine for backing up and most driving, but not always reliable at speed. On track days the image cuts on and off and bounces.

im in the process of getting my spf 40 together and have been thinking abt rear view cameras.
a couple of problems i have....
i realize i can easily mount a cam in the rear, but would have a huge blind spot off the rear quarters.
another problem is i think by law i have tohave at least 1 side mirror fixed to the car. not as worried abt this one, as its an operators violation rather than a moving violation, but....

anyone have any ideas of how i can get good visibilty with cams and not have side mirrors at all?
i know they make some 180 degree wide angle lens cams, but where to mount??
thanks

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
i realize i can easily mount a cam in the rear, but would have a huge blind spot off the rear quarters. thanks

not if yu mount the camera above the carb - the 90deg view cuts the rear at each corner. Problem is reflection through the rear glass. If it was mounted externally, then this would not be a problem.

not if yu mount the camera above the carb - the 90deg view cuts the rear at each corner. Problem is reflection through the rear glass. If it was mounted externally, then this would not be a problem.

youre correct...we considered mounting it to the rear part of the roof, but question the aesthetics....

perhaps the top part or most forward part inside the glass of the rear window is an idea.

anyone have any pics and any suggestions on what type of equipment to use?

thanks

rear view cameras are not a substitute for mirrors, they are helpful ,especially in parking lot backup situations. Your depth of field is very limited with a camera so a mirrors is still needed in my opinion. GT40s, especially MK11s are a challenge, to say the least, in traffic. I would highly advise a stalk mounted sideview mirror, they may not look vintage, but at least you can drive more safely.

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi all

I have to agree that you never have too many ways of seeing where all the cars and obstacles are around you.

A GT40 is not an easy car to have all round view from.

In mine I have high mounted mirrors plus an original interior mirror and also a ultra wide angle rear view camera mounted just below the exhaust pipes (see photo).

Dimi

Attachments

• PICT0379.JPG
    PICT0379.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 385
rear view cameras are not a substitute for mirrors, they are helpful ,especially in parking lot backup situations. Your depth of field is very limited with a camera so a mirrors is still needed in my opinion. GT40s, especially MK11s are a challenge, to say the least, in traffic. I would highly advise a stalk mounted sideview mirror, they may not look vintage, but at least you can drive more safely.

hi chuck,
i agree cams wont give you good depth, but i think while driving u just need to know if something is there.
i think over time you will "learn" the depth.
i really like your mirrors, can u see pretty good with them?
what kind are they?

Hi all

I have to agree that you never have too many ways of seeing where all the cars and obstacles are around you.

A GT40 is not an easy car to have all round view from.

In mine I have high mounted mirrors plus an original interior mirror and also a ultra wide angle rear view camera mounted just below the exhaust pipes (see photo).

Dimi

have any more pics that show where you mounted your mirrors and what kind?
thanks

I too have a rear view camera with sensors installed on my Scorpio. I'm able to do a very close and tight parking when required.

As you come closer you can't see the rear bumper edges since the camera, though having a wide angle lens is normally fitted in the center. Secondly. if you observe, that all cars' front have a curved design with the bulge in the center tapering off to the sides. So, the camera enables you to see the front bulging part thus making a tight parking easier.

Back