Better guage lighting?

Anyone have an idea on how I can increase the illumination of the smith's guages in my SPF 40? Reading the larger tach and speedo can get pretty tough at night

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Rich.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Rich, I changed out all my guages just because of this. The only suggestion I have is to put a 6 volt bulb in place of the 12 volt. It will draw more current but the fuse will protect the circuit. I did this in in all my old Ferrari's just because I couldn't see the readings at night. It helped but not a cure.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I don't know if they do them in the correct bulb sizes but have you looked at LED bulbs instead of the standard ones?

They tend to be brighter for the same current draw

Ian

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
How long will a 6v bulb last? Probably not too long. Are higher wattage bulbs available to go into the instruments?

I am glad you asked this. I have Smiths gauges for my GT40, so this is something I should think about before I put the dashboard together and discover I can't see the gauges at night...if I find some alternatives I will post them here.

Jack adn Jimmymac,

I appreciate the recommendations and I think I'll try both in conjunction. BTW, does anybody know if I can get that Krylon at the local hardware store or is it special.

Rich.

For a given bulb size/type, normally they are available in different wattages. More watts, more light. Panteras have weak illumination of the speedo/tach, and come from the factory with 3W bulbs. It's very easy to find a 5W replacement which makes them tolerable.

I suggest you pull a bulb and see what you have, then go to a GOOD auto parts store (the kind with old guys with silver hair behind the counter who don't necessarily know how to work a computer) and ask them for replacements with more oomph. :thumbsup:

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I haven't seen a LED replacement for the small bulbs but that would be a great item to have for my old cars. If you have a source for these let us know.

Having replaced a bulb in the speedo Sunday, I noticed another hole in the bottom of the back of the gauge. I think a second light can be installed at that location. Someone tell me if I'm wrong. For reasons of staying out of trouble with local law officers (they're using lasers now), I really watch my speed. I use a Garmin GPS and suction cup to hold it onto the Speedo face. Even with the gear reduction on the ZFQ I find it off -5MPH at 60. That isn't a problem, but accelerating on an on ramp to join traffic I saw I hit 110 just going into 3rd. Too easy to speed. Even if you are doing your best and not speeding, the car does make an easy target to spot on the road.

I also carry a mini LED flashlight w/red lense in the driver door pocket. From my military night flying days, I have finger tip LEDs, and a ANVIS (Aviator's Night Vision Imaging System) goggle. No I don't drive WO lights, but do go in between the tree tops at night 'low & slow'!

There are 'eyebrow' lights 'post' lights used of General/military a/c. More work to install. Can the dimmer pot be changed to alow for more current?

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Grady, changing the dimmer will not help, if you want to see if it does just short the two lead going to it and see if they get brighter. Changing them all was not easy but worth it. Here is a picture of two of the new guages with the old guage next to them. You can see the difference, I now have them all changed out.

Attachments

• IMG_9290.jpg
    IMG_9290.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 306
Rich:
I once saw a setup that used fiber optic cables to light all the guages from one light source. I think older Corvettes had this setup. It used a halogen light source which solved the problem of heat inside the gauge body, and if I remember correctly it was fairly bright. Also I think there were color options. There was a small enclosure which housed the lamp, and outputs for the cables. I cant remember the source, but a little searching on the web might turn up something. The only drawback I could see was one light source going out would shut everything off. This was a while ago, and I would bet someone has an LED setup by now.
Good luck
Phil

Grady, changing the dimmer will not help, if you want to see if it does just short the two lead going to it and see if they get brighter. Changing them all was not easy but worth it. Here is a picture of two of the new guages with the old guage next to them. You can see the difference, I now have them all changed out.

about how long did it take to swap out all the gauges? is it pretty straight forward?
did you use kirkham gauges?
thanks

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I have a SPF MK1 left hand drive and it was tough, be prepared for some cramped hands and a few fiberglass splinters. My friend has a MKII right hand drive which the dash is different and it was easy for him. You have to be careful taking out the old gauges as not to damage the gas filled bulbs on the water, and oil temp but fitting the new gauges with the rings that hold them in the dash was the tricky part. All my gauges are from Speedhut.com

Took a full day.

I have a SPF MK1 left hand drive and it was tough, be prepared for some cramped hands and a few fiberglass splinters. My friend has a MKII right hand drive which the dash is different and it was easy for him. You have to be careful taking out the old gauges as not to damage the gas filled bulbs on the water, and oil temp but fitting the new gauges with the rings that hold them in the dash was the tricky part. All my gauges are from Speedhut.com

Took a full day.

I really like the look of the gauges, and i have to say i like the fact that you can custom order any gauge in a myriad of colors.
im thinking of going with black ring, black face gauges with yellow font and glow yellow when the lights are on.
maybe thats a bit much, but i think its a little different and might be cool.
(yellow car)
are you happy with the gauges? did u need any special adapters?
also, are the gauges for an spf electric?
btw, i like the tach with the shift lights....
have any more pics of your dash completed?
thanks much!

Last edited:
Back