looking for fuel hose

Hi, I am looking for 33-34mm (1 1/3") i.d. fuel hose with a 90 degree bend
I have search the net but can not find anything,
I have been told that the samco stuff is not for fuel but if it needs to be replaced every 5 years I don't care,anybody a good idea?
thanks, rick

Rick,
You are looking for one serious fuel line. The only things that big are water lines and then are rather large. Most are AN16 or 20. Don"t think they make an 18, though could be wrong. At any rate a 20 is what you are asking for. They also would be rather expensive by itself unless found on the used market. I have two (I believe it is a 20)but it isn't of the reusable type fittings. If you are interested in it, we could work something out. The two I have are aprox. 20 " long. I even have a weld bung for it. Here it is next to a AN8 bung.
P1010251.jpg

One begs the question, what in the world are you using it on that would require such a large diameter for fuel???? Even the Top Fuel guys don't go that high!!

Bill

On my TWM injected 496" 427SO I had -10 to a aeromotive 1000 pump and filters, to a splitter, to 2 -8s, one to each fuel rail, and that was oversized.

A balance line between sponsons or for his filler neck perhaps ?

yep, bingo! balance pipe between to tanks one on the left and one on the right side of the car. I have to bypass my chassis so they don't need to hold any pressure that's why I am looking for the coolant(water) hose style but I want it to be fuel save. (maybe for te time beeing I can take the coolant hose and check it one's a year) but thanks for the reply any information is welcome

Rick;
I would think that one of your options might be to use straight line with a steel elbow to make the 90 deg. bend. Most OEM fuel fillers are setup this way. I have found a lot of available sizes for hose in marine catalogs, and most of the fuel rated hose has a heavy wall and is reasonably ridgid so bends are limited to slight curves in a straight section.
Good Luck
Phil

HI Rick If you have someone that installs truck bed in your area they modify filler neck all the time and most have a stock of hose or a parts house near bye that supplys them, We have a NAPA store that stock a good sellection. There is also A hydraulics shop that has fuel resitant hose available.

"I would think that one of your options might be to use straight line with a steel elbow to make the 90 deg. bend. "

the way the pipe is set up it will be difficult to mount it between the two tanks (over the lower trailing arms and then underneath the chassis,btw not the lowest point)
I already have steel elbows but this morning looking from underneath the car (on my back) I came to the conclusion that it will be a lot more easy/easyer?(please correct) to use 90deg. bended hose instead of the steel one's

so I will pay a visit to the truck guys over here, good tip thanks

Rick,
I got to thinking about what you want to do. I hit on a problem for you t think about. With a line as big as you want you are going to have a lot of fuel movement in both directions!! You will need a one way valve with little or no resistance to flow. These are not cheap in the AN8 variety. I think you will find out that in a significant left hander(assuming your pickup is on the right side) your fuel will flow in the wrong direction rather quickly. This could cause the pump to starve, and might cause premature failure. I think you will find it will play havoc with the fuel level gauge as well.
Lotus has the same idea with a crossover. They use a small one that takes a little time to get any significant volume over to the other side. When filling only one side to the fill cut off, will show a lower volume than full on the gauge once settled.
I am considering an 8AN line. I also want to incorporate a quick connect in the crossover line in case maintenance is required on say the sender.
BTW I have one of those in 20 and 24 as well!!!

Bill

Attachments

• P1010253.jpg
    P1010253.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 178
Rick your making life hard for yourself.
I would reduce the size of the line ,It doesn't need to be that large anyway.
-12 is plenty as a cross over and you can get the fittings.
Most say there hose is good for fuel but my experience is that it permeates fuel smells.
Teflon hose is the only one I find to not smell.
My filler neck hoses I bought from GM(NO SMELLS).

Jim

Mike Pass

Supporter
Hi Rick,
Just a thought if you are going to connect the two tanks side to side. If you park the car where the road is steeply cambered or on a track with a lot of bends one way then the fuel willl flow from one tank to the other and if they are full then the "lower" tank could overflow.
Usually the tanks are not connected and each has it's own pump and filters with a switch to choose the feed.
Cheers
Mike

Darnel A.

Supporter
I know what you are going through. In my infinite wisdom, I cut the fuel filler hose off the filler neck of my Lotus Esprit to remove the fuel tanks for leak repairs. Now that I am reinstalling them, I am having a hard time finding a new hose (modern cars don't use hose anymore). The Lotus dealer wants $70 U.S. for a replacement hose. (Ouch!). The Lotus dealer suggested I use racing Silicone hose instead. Much cheaper.

P.S. The Lotus has two tanks with a crossover also. It uses a metal tube with the hoses at each end to make the connection. I would recommend this construction, it is very difficult to find fuel hose, let alone formed fuel hose, but try a racing catalogue (Demon Tweeks in the UK).

Darnel

Bill, I will do hardly any trackday's so a fast left or right corner will only happen on the autobahn yes yes the autobahn only 100miles away (1,5 hrs) if I am going to do a track day I must fill up properly

Jim, "rick your making life hard for yourself" yes I know I have build the chassis/suspention myself (lol) emailed samco and the told me today that ther hose is not up to this job (even the fuel resistance) verry nice people to tell the true to a customer, i like that for a change

Mike I live in holland aka the netherlands, if you think of flat multiply by two and thats where I live haha no hill's or mountens. but I have a simple swirl pot inside the tank

speedquest yeh lotus.... lots of tro...oops well you know...(me too) demon does not sell bended fuel hose (I have been there last week) but I have a good hose but not with the bend in it

Attachments

• fuel tank overview.jpg
    fuel tank overview.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 214
  • tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 217
Now that I have my engine running, I have made a few discoveries that is food for thought for some of you. I am incorporating a crossover line from the drivers side to the passenger side. I have one set of pumps(lo and high) on the passenger side. My routing is:
Pass. side tank to filter, to low pump, to swirl pot, to Hi pump, to mico filter, to FI, to regulator, to return to swirl pot, and overflow to drivers side tank. From the drivers side I have an 8AN line from as low as I could get without drilling through the frame through a one way valve(low resistance) to the passenger tank.
What I have found out is that the crossover works, but it is too slow to get the fuel to the passenger side before it runs out of gas!! Wen I turn the engine off(when the fuel guage says empty) and let it sit for a couple of minutes, turn it back on and thefuel guage says full!! This situation leads to overfilling of the drivers side tank. It actually ran out the breather tube. The other issue I discovered is that you HAVE TO HAVE A VENT LINE IN THE REAR OF THE TANK. It doen't need to be big, but it has to be there. If the car is sitting in traffic(car attitude is nose down) or on a long declining road, the pressure will build up in the rear of the tank forcing the fuel up the filler or vent line!!
I have contemplated a solution to my delima and I think it will work. I will post the results when complete.

Bill

Back