Alternator help needed

Hi

I´m going forward in my cars installation. This is the first time i realy took a close look on th alternator delivered with my engine package.
It is a MOTORCRAFT Ford 2G unit.
This is what it looks like
PICT3701.jpg

PICT3706.jpg

This is the tag on it
PICT3705.jpg

Now to my questions:
  • will it stand my 7500 - 7800 rpm engine or do i need to change the pulley to make it slower ?
  • 75 Amps @ 6000 RPM, lets say an average loading current of 60 Amps equals a power of 720 watts which should be sufficient or what you think: lights, fuelpumps, fans, gearbox oilcoolerpump, ignition ?
  • There are two 3 pole connectors on the alternator, does anyone have a wiring diagramm available ?
  • where do i mount the main charging line ?
  • or should i throw it in the bin and buy something else? if so please your recos?
would like to have this cleared before i go the effort to mount it on the engine

Thanks
TOM

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Tom - Check this thread for a diagram;
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tec...lternator-wiring-ford-2g-advice-required.html

Also

RPM wise, you are probably fine. The problems with the higher RPMs are more belt related than the device (water pump / alternator) being driven.
Serpentine belts will run at a much higher RPM without issue than will V-Belt..

I've bought a 130 AMP 1 wire alternator for mine. I wanted to be sure I was able to support all the accessories (including AC) at the same time..
I'm certain that there are some here that would say that 130 AMP is overkill.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I believe that Ford sells (sold?) replacement plugs here. The fire danger actually comes from a loose or poorly fitting plug. As I've seen, the replacement plugs plug into the old plug and have a short length of wires to the new plug which then attaches to the alternator.

Back