ISIS wiring

Hi all,

Has anyone used the ISIS wiring system yet? It seems pretty straight forward.

Also, has anyine in the UK got hold of this kit yet. I'm probably going to use it, so would like to know if anyone sells it in the UK?

Cheers,

Graham.

ISIS wiring system (reposting)

I'm reposting this as I had no responses, so people may have missed it: -

Hi all,

Has anyone used the ISIS wiring system yet? It seems pretty straight forward.

Also, has anyine in the UK got hold of this kit yet. I'm probably going to use it, so would like to know if anyone sells it in the UK?

Cheers,

Graham.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Graham,

I just combined your two threads.

In the future if you post a thread and nobody replies to it after a few days it is customary to simply make another post to your thread thus bringing it to the top. You don't need to start another new thread on the same topic.

I have not read a lot about ISIS on this forum. What I have read I think I remember being in conjunction with an RCR Superlight Coupe build. I might be wrong there since I read all the build threads and it is easy to get confused.

A search using the Advanced Search feature and targeting the Build Logs, or the RCR subforum using the ISIS keyword might pull something up.

Ron

Several RCR builders are using it, including two 40s and at least one SLC. Most people seem to really like it. Could be overkill for a really simple case, though that doesn't cover any actual modern road cars, IMO.

I think they sell direct. Why don't you contact them through their web site and ask if they sell internationally?

See Contact Us - Automobile Electrical Systems, Automotive Wiring Harnesses, Car Wire Harness, Ignition Wiring, Electrical Connectors, Engine Wiring Harness, Car Wiring Harness

Ron-hope it's OK to link like this- if not, remove it!

Graham

I have not used the ISIS system, nor do I personally know anybody who has. There is a write-up on installing the system in a recent Auto Restorer magazine (can't check the exact issue as I am at work now). I belive the newest Car Craft (December 09 or Jan 10?) also has something in it on ISIS, but, if I recall, it was brief. I know you are in the UK; I don't know if these magazines are available over there.

My initial reaction to the system is nice and very slick, but really expensive. The two-module setup, which I think is an "average" setup, is approaching $1K. The claim is this is similar in cost to standard wiring, but that's quite a stretch in my opinion.

Eric

I belive the newest Car Craft (December 09 or Jan 10?) also has something in it on ISIS, but, if I recall, it was brief.

It's not Car Craft, it's Hot Rod, January 2010, page 82 (had that one at work; I'll check on the Auto Restorer issue at home).

Eric

It's a very slick system, just like it's predecessor - the I2 1+1million relay (and 1+1 MOSFET).

Very easy to setup, especially if you've never done any type of automotive wiring before. In my cobra, for example, I don't have 1 relay in it. Nothing for fuel pump, or signal, or lights, or anything.

Very simple and very powerful.

Plus it has the advantage of virtually no risk of fire - Chris was explaining how with your typical dash wiring, for example, it's very easy to get an electrical fire going (I forgot the examples he gave, went over my head back then), but with the I2/ISIS setup, virtually no risk because of the low amperage.

Gets my vote for sure.

So far I am pleased. I think it is pretty expensive. I have more than 1k in it so far, and I plan to use better connectors than the blade connectors supplied to hook up to the powered stuff. But I don't think you can compare it apples to apples to a system like the one that came with my RCR. I don't think there is anything you cannot do with standard stuff, but it is much easier to control things in complicated ways. You run almost no load through switches, so dash reliablility should be improved. It does significantly reduce running wires all over the car, since you just have a couple of wires connecting the boxes.

For example, I have three fuel pumps, and a solenoid valve that selects return flow to side tank that is active. I will have it so the pumps are activated by ignition on, but the EFI system will actually control whether they are powered or not. And a single switch on the dash will decide which of the in-tank pumps is active, and what state the solenoid valve is in. This is easy with the ISIS but would be a stretch for me without it. Plus, if I want, I can have the ignition as a button on a key fob, with no key. And the EFI wire goes straight to the mastercell about three feet away, but no additional connections are needed back to the fuel pumps, as the CAN bus does the controlling.

I'll keep you updated as I go along. I am getting ready to have ISIS reprogram the mastercell, so I'll let you know if that goes smoothly.

-J.

Hi Guys
Just visiting an old thread. Graham, hows your wiring going , did you end up going with the ISIS system. Now a year on has anyone used this system?. I dont have 1 wire in my car yet and have been looking at different makes of looms.
Any help would be appreciated
Cheers
Woody

Hi Guys
Just visiting an old thread. Graham, hows your wiring going , did you end up going with the ISIS system. Now a year on has anyone used this system?. I dont have 1 wire in my car yet and have been looking at different makes of looms.
Any help would be appreciated
Cheers
Woody

I've used its predecessor (I2) in my cobra and everything worked perfectly the first time through.

I used the ISIS (3cell) in my superlite and once again everything worked perfectly the first time I wired it up.

It's a really easy system to follow and use. For example, fuel pump: 1 wire from isis power cell to fuel pump. ground fuel pump. done. No need for relays or anything (unless the item is drawing more than 30amp)

Next car I build will definately have an ISIS as well. If you have a specific question feel free to ask it; best I can do is sum it up by saying less wiring, more reliable, safer (especially behind the dash!), easier to troubleshoot.

edit: Not to mention is takes care of stuff like self-cancelling turn signals and hazards internally, so just hook it up to lighting and go.

Last edited:
Just booted mine up complete last night, will post some pics in my build log later this evening.

I absolutely love it. I would not use another system. As I mentioned before, I have some extra complexity because of the EFI. The integration between the Isis and the EFI is seamless. I have everything set up just the way I like it. EFI controls the front fans, but the AC system does also, and there is an override. I can use a basic toggle for turn signals. I can use any switch I want as a starter.

Best part is the diagnostics. Even before putting in a fuse I could see exactly what each switch I wired was doing. Turns out I missed a jumper so the fuel pumps weren't controlled right. I could see that instantly, 5 minutes later it is all perfect.

Finally, the service has been great. This morning (about 10 am) I called and talked to Mike about a switch issue, and my desire to change some programming. He walked me through the switch problem, and I already have the updated programming (soft start on my dash and running/driving lights to preserve bulbs; I changed from the running lights to four-way flashers as an indicator for security on or off). Turn around time was about 4 hours.

In the end my initial impressions were correct: it is more expensive (marginally) but worth every penny to me.

Back