Fuel Sender Shortening

marc

Lifetime Supporter
New RCR P4 - Fuel Senders are 4" longer than tank. Instructions do not identify adjusting. Help! (Okay cut it down, but what do I have to look out for)

Marc,
Do you have one of the Fuel Safe "Centroid" units.Pegasus - Fuel Level Sender for Fuel Cells, 0-90 Ohm
Pegasus - Fuel Level Sender for Fuel Cells, 0-90 Ohm
If so their instructions are a little different depending on who you talk to. Pegasus says :Pegasus - Fuel Safe Fuel Level Sending Unit Set-Up
Fuel Safe says on step 5. http://www.centroidproducts.com/fsafe.pdf

SHORTENING THE SENDER
5a. If for some reason your sender is too long for your tank, it can be shortened, but only to the lower end of its electronics range. The electronics ranges are: 3-6", 6-12", 12-24", and 24-48". So if you have an 8" sender, that's from the 6-12" range and can be shortened to as little as 6" from flat bottom of head to end of tubing.
5b. To shorten the sender, the outer tube should be cut with a tubing cutter, as found at KMart, etc, or a hardware store. A hacksaw can be used in a pinch but has the problem of producing metal filings.
5c. The inner tube can be nipped off with side cutters. It doesn't matter if the end of the inner tube gets pinched closed.
5d. A sender must be calibrated after it is cut.

If you have one of these, they are great. You can have a low warning lite that can be used to alert you the fuel level is low(Alarm).

Bill

marc

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Bill, I called RCR and they said the same. Somethings seem obvious to do but working in the world of electronics, nothing is obvious, or sane. I deal with sensors for temp, humidity, and never ever cut one like this to make it work so you can imagine my hesitation. I will cut that tonight. Thanks to the rest of you trying to help. I will provide more information next time. I did talk to Aeromotive today regarding fueling. I will share in a separate post.

Back