Distance from carb to regulator

Obviously the closer the carb is to the regulator the better off you'll be (no pressure issues), but I'm curious what the maximum distance of hose from carb to regulator would be that you would be satisfied with? 15''?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Alex, if you have sufficient size hose and flow, you could put that regulator right next to the pump itself. I have on number racecars and never an issue..

Buuuut you didn't say if your pump was 1ft or 10ft away from the carb in that case ;) (although i'd suspect the later)

In any case though, even if you have enough flow to support it, by placing it futher away won't you effect the pressure because the regulator is responding slower due to the distance between itself and the object being fed?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
If the hose is large enough the pressure drop over the distance from the pump to the carb will be minimal.. You probably could not even measure it with common gauges..

You're probably running -8 hose which should be well enough..

Well, let me try to describe it best I can.
tankinplace.jpg

fuelb2.jpg

-12 pickup with a -10 hose end
- roughly 2ft of -10 hose from the tank to my fuel plate
- -10 100 micron filter into Weldon a1100 pump (can flow up to 1400hp)
- exists Weldon pump as a -8, into a 10micron filter. Then I have 2 choices

I was either going to place the regulator on the crossbeam opposite the fuel panel (to keep everything together). A -8 hose from the regulator to the carb (distance would be approximately 15-20''), -8 return.

my other choice was to attach the regulator to the fuel log on the carb (and run a -8 hose from my fuel plate setup to the fuel log).

The later (fuel log w/ regulator at the end of it) isn't as neat as the first setup. But I wonder if it would be more functional because it's closer to the carb.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I'd put that regulator back by the pump/filter ... Nice and tidy! :thumbsup:

Unless somebody voices an objection I think that's the setup I'll use then.

Btw, for easier readability, does it matter if the pressure gauge is screwed directly into the regulator, or if you attach it with, say, a 130* elbow to the regulator?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Doesn't matter Alex.. You could connect it to an Isolator and then run a pressure gauge in the dashboard too...

Back