Red Line Water Wetter = Good Stuff!

Although not strictly regarding the GT40, my experience here is certainly relevant. During a recent visit to the Red Line Oil factory, on impulse I bought a bottle of Red Line Water Wetter.

Red Line Water Wetter

I've used this stuff, on and off, for years, but hadn't put any into my Pantera before. Today I siphoned out an appropriate amount of coolant from the pressure tank and then dumped a whole bottle of Water Wetter in. It's good for 3-5 gallons, and the Pantera's system is 6 3/8 gallons so arguably I could have used two bottles, but one is what I had so one is what I used.

After topping off the cooling system, I fired it up and let it idle. I could see the water temp rise until the thermostat opened, then it dropped suddenly as the engine got a shot of cool water from the radiator. It eventually settled down right at 190 degrees on the gauge, verified by a laser heat gun on my radiator which showed 185. (I've got a 180-degree thermostat). One fan came on, then it just sat there.

After 15 minutes, I decided to force the issue, and revved it up to 3000 rpm for about five minutes. The temp climbed up to about 210 and the second fan was on. I then let it settle back to its 850 rpm idle, and after a fairly short time, the temp dropped back to 190 and the second fan turned off.

Nirvana!

My cooling system is as old-school as it gets. I have a standard stock replacement radiator (brass) in the normal stand-up configuration, and pusher fans, and a Brand X aluminum water pump, and I use a RobertShaw (Flowkooler) 180-degree thermostat instead of a cheap auto parts store thermostat.

It just goes to show that one doesn't have to go to great extremes to get a mid-engined V-8-powered car to run at the proper temperature. Having said that, it appears that the addition of water wetter may have knocked 5-10 degrees off my temps, because normally my car idles with both fans running once it's warmed up from cold, and indicates just over 190 degrees. At about eight bucks a bottle, that's one of the better improvements you can make from a cost-effectiveness basis.

FWIW, Red Line claims that adding one bottle of Water Wetter to a 50/50 water/glycol mix results in a temp drop of about 8 degrees, fully consistent with my findings. They claim an 18-degree temp drop when it is added to a straight water system (no antifreeze); as a bonus it contains all the good lubey things needed to keep your water pump seals etc. fresh. :thumbsup:

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Right on Mike, there is quite a discussion on this issue in the Rennlist 997 GT3 RS forum due to an inherent issue with waterline fitting failures.

The use of water wetter and water is a smart way to go for track use. If you have a catastrophic water failure (loss) and coolant is dumped in the path of your tires you will be kissing the barriers in short order, and jeopardizing your fellow racers safety as well.

Not only does it work as Mike has noted but the added safety on the track is another great benefit.

I currently use WW with coolant but the next time I open my water system I am going to go straight water + WW. FWIW, I believe the only purpose for coolant is for the anti-freeze properties and being in So Calif no issue there. Any comments on that?

FWIW, I believe the only purpose for coolant is for the anti-freeze properties and being in So Calif no issue there. Any comments on that?

>>>At least as important as the anti-freeze characteristics is the lubrication qualities that anti-freeze has. Your water pump seals need to be caressed and coddled, and water alone won't do it. At least a bit (perhaps 25%) of your coolant mixture should be antifreeze for that reason.

Having said that, Water Wetter supposedly contains all the lubrication goodies you need, which allows you to run straight water plus Water Wetter, and have the optimal cooling situation. However, a freeze would be catastrophic, as it can lead to burst radiators, cracked blocks, cracked heads, etc. So think carefully before going there....

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
...Water Wetter supposedly contains all the lubrication goodies you need, which allows you to run straight water plus Water Wetter, and have the optimal cooling situation. However, a freeze would be catastrophic, as it can lead to burst radiators, cracked blocks, cracked heads, etc. So think carefully before going there....<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Well put, if a freeze condition exist don't even consider not using coolant\anti-freeze.

Back